Spots on Rooster Combs

Nohoka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
When I left our birds out to Free-Range today I noticed the Roosters have black spots on their combs. Anyone know what this might be? And how to get rid of it?

35939_misc_063.jpg

35939_misc_065.jpg

35939_misc_062.jpg

35939_misc_064.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is still pretty chilly but it's been much colder. I'm worried they have mites.
sad.png
They are shaking their heads a lot too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello;
I have noticed some of mine have that also. I tried to clean off and some did come off.
I now have 4 that their combs went from bright red to pale I don't know what that is. I spray for mites etc.. do not think is mites. I am going to take them to vet. What is tha Pox? disease that the other member mentioned?
I also need help.
Thank you

Quote:
frow.gif
iluvbantams, you too Wynot.
welcome-byc.gif

Wynot,,When mine get frost bite it is usually on the tip of their combs. Not in random places like yours. Hopefully it is not contagious and someone with more knowledge can give you better ideas.

ilumbantams,,if you take yours to the vet, please do keep us updated on the diagnosis and what you are doing. We can all learn from each other's experiences and that is why I love this forum!

Again, welcome to our coop. I'm from KS.
frow.gif

It looks more like dried blood to me. I'd bet your boys have been working out who should rule the roost and those are just the natural result of that process.

Anyone think it looks like Fowl Pox? And if it would be Fowl Pox what do I do about it? I hope it's not something contageous, we want to hatch some eggs and don't want infected chicks. If it is Fowl Pox would the eggs still be okay for eating and for hatching? I have had chickens for a lot of years and have never run into Fowl Pox.
sad.png

I've dealt with fowl pox Nohoka and I honestly dont know if the roo in the pics has it or not and I'll tell you why. I think Kittymomma is correct that your boys might be pecking/scratching/fighting each other. However, the third pic down, I'm observing what appears to be a white in color scab? below the roosters right earlobe that possibly could be fowl pox. Fowl pox is transmitted by mosquitos, wild birds also carry it. It's too cold for mosquitos. Have your roos been in contact with wild birds? I dont think wild birds up there would have fowl pox neither,they'd have to been bitten by a mosquito and it's just too cold. If they did have fowl pox,it is contageous and all your chickens would get it, hens included. The scabs of fowl pox are larger than what is shown on your roos comb.The scabs are very contageous.They eventually dry up and fall off onto the ground.Direct contact with the infected chicken or scab spreads the virus thru the flock. Since it's a virus,there's no cure.You have to let it run it's course throughout your flock and in 30 days or thereabouts,it should start to disappear. Your chickens will have immunity from fowl pox after it's all said and done. You must monitor all your chickens to insure the scabs dont get in/on their eyelids (they have to see to eat)and not in their mouth or throat.If it gets in their mouth/throat, it's a different more serious threat to their health.When it gets in their mouth/throat,it's called "wet pox." You must remove the scabs from their mouth/throat. If you dont remove them, the chicken is unable to swallow food and drink and would eventually die from starvation. I've never dealt with wet pox so you might want to search for wet pox in this forum just in case /FYI. So right now we're possibly dealing with "dry pox." Let it run its course and monitor all your chickens,that's all you can do. The eggs are safe to eat, no problem. As far as hatching, I dont know the answer to that. Now if your roos are fighting,they will have blood marks,scratches,small punctures etc...seperate them and treat the wounds with blu kote or triple anti biotic ointment. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom