Spotted Eggs

My Black Australorp lays eggs with those types of spots. Her eggs are also consistently a shade darker on one end of the egg than the other. It's really cute and the only way I can't tell which are hers.

I'm glad I saw this thread because I was beginning to wonder my self for I've gotten eggs like this also. I'd say I get 1 maybe 2 a week. Glad to know it's nothing serious!!

the first time i found spotted eggs like that last year, i scrubbed and scrubbed to get them off! i thought it was blood spots
roll.png

I've been getting them from more than one hen this week (one Barred Rock and one Wellsummer.) I was away for a week so my neighbor kept the chickens inside their pen, not running around, so I was worried it was stress-related. Glad to know it is "normal".

I have 5 chickens who started laying in late Dec/Jan. I have been getting spotted eggs for a few weeks now from at least 2 of the chickens-I have 4 Dominiques and 1 BA(no spots on her eggs) I was told I was giving them to much calcium in their diet, so I stopped with the oyster shells and still the spots are on the eggs.
I'm clueless as to what I'm doing wrong with their diet. The only thing I'm thinking of is cherry tomatoes- they love them and I have been giving them that as treats in the afternoon.

I have 5 chickens who started laying in late Dec/Jan. I have been getting spotted eggs for a few weeks now from at least 2 of the chickens-I have 4 Dominiques and 1 BA(no spots on her eggs) I was told I was giving them to much calcium in their diet, so I stopped with the oyster shells and still the spots are on the eggs.
I'm clueless as to what I'm doing wrong with their diet. The only thing I'm thinking of is cherry tomatoes- they love them and I have been giving them that as treats in the afternoon.

You're not doing anything wrong- this is normal.
smile.png
I absolutely would not stop with the oyster shell.

I think the better question is: is there anyone with laying chickens who *haven't* given them a spotted egg ever???

I have some that give white spots on brown eggs, darker brown spots on brown eggs, white specs on blue eggs, and brown specks on olive eggs. All normal. All very cool, imo.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom