GoatDragonFarms

Songster
5 Years
Dec 20, 2017
Western North Carolina
Three weeks ago we moved our hatchery chicks outside, and in the process had an accident with one of the Spitzhauben kids. This is totally, entirely, 120% our fault and I am the first to own that.

Little girl Hobbes has been having symptoms of what appears to be spraddle or splayed leg in her right side. We have been treating with hobbles, a figure 8 vet wrap between her legs both above and below the knee joint.

Without correction, there is a noted "looseness" to her right hip. The hip joint does not dislocate on its own.

Intake and output are good. She moves around plenty, has a great disposition. She lives with another disabled hatchery chick and a companion, so isn't hurting for flock.

Euthanasia isn't on the table right now, and neither is a vet. As I continue to dig through the internet, do you, my BYC family, have wisdom?

Nope, she was perfectly fine until she was tossed in to a slick bin for transfer.

The other bird seems to be nearsighted, as, well, near as we can tell. She doesn't see things on the other side of her swimming pool, but gets really close to them and then is ok. She is a different breed, one of Cackle's phoenix gals (rare breed packing peanut).

The chick in the video looks to have a valgus deformity or twisted leg, and it may have ruptured it’s hock tendon which can be a common occurrence with leg bone deformities. There may not be much that can be done unfortunately. But I would give it a try with your splinting or resting the leg. She may be able to figure out how to get around on her own without the splinting. Here is abother article on leg bone deformities with pictures:
https://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC1790586&blobtype=pdf

Thank you all so much for weighing in! This was definitely caused by an injury, however, there may have been an underlying issue as well. My first hatchery order has been a mixed experience.

I just let the special needs crew run around outside, and Hobbes' leg seems to be turning further around without correction. I will look at this information, @Eggcessive, and see what comes from it.

Thankfully she doesn't seem to be in pain when moving around or with manipulation of the knee or hip joints. Maybe the two of us will do our PT exercises together.

If the splint you were using gives her more suppost, then it might be better to put it back on. Vet wrap cut into 1 inch strips can be good for splinting and it can be removed easily, but just check the circulation since it can become too tight.

That's exactly what we have been using.

In watching her hop around, I noticed that she seems to keep her knees together. I think when it gets a little later we will wrap her back up.

Circulation checks are always critical, thank you for the reminder! :D

Here is our progress so far
20190716_224005.jpg
Project of the week: chicken wheelchair.
Still need to cut holes for her legs and one for her cloaca (vent [butt]).
She is sleeping tonight. Tomorrow we will see how this works out!

Back
Top Bottom