Spraddle leg and?

Jun 2, 2023
I have a bantam cochin chick that’s about 4 weeks old. About 10 days ago I checked on my brooder in the morning and this chick was laying with her legs completely spread out and she was flailing about trying to walk. She was not crying in pain nor was there any other indications she was hurt. I bound her legs into the correct position with soft yarn and she was walking just fine within an hour. I left the yarn on to let the legs heal for about a week. When I took the yarn off her legs were no better at all, I figured it just wasn’t long enough so I put it back on. But when I checked on her today she seemed lethargic and is breathing hard. I know it’s not too hot bc none of the other chicks are panting. Does anybody have an idea what could possibly be wrong with her?

Additional brooder background information: they are kept on a thick layer of sawdust in a kitty pool. No other chicks have slipped.
They are fed a medicated chick crumble with free access to chicks grit. Water that I add vitamins and electrolytes to about once a week.
The brooder is kept at about 85 degrees unless I have day olds, which I currently do not. Their brooder is large and they have plenty of room to temperature regulate.

Can you post some pictures of the chick in question, so we can see the legs clearly?
Is the check getting adequate access to food and water since it's having trouble, also can it move in and out of the heat well?
Brooder temps should be 90-95 degrees the first week, and decrease by about 5 degrees per week, so at 4 weeks a temp of 75 -80 is where it should be under the heat source. Most chicks can be without supplemental heat around 5-6 weeks since they are pretty feathered out by then, unless ambient temperatures are really low.

Can you post some pictures of the chick in question, so we can see the legs clearly?
Is the check getting adequate access to food and water since it's having trouble, also can it move in and out of the heat well?
Brooder temps should be 90-95 degrees the first week, and decrease by about 5 degrees per week, so at 4 weeks a temp of 75 -80 is where it should be under the heat source. Most chicks can be without supplemental heat around 5-6 weeks since they are pretty feathered out by then, unless ambient temperatures are really low.
She took a nose dive this morning, but had been eating and drinking fine. I’ve got her drinking water several times and her gullet always had food in it until this morning. With the legs pulled into the proper position she had been walking almost like normal.
The brooder hot spot was 85 as I had 2 almost three weeks old chicks and 3 almost 4 week old chicks in the brooder as well. As I specified before the brooder is large and they have plenty of room to move away from heat.
I had been checking every hour, upon just checking I found that she had passed. She just looked like she went to sleep and didn’t wake up. Rip baby girl❤️

Sorry for your loss.
Thank you, she was a special baby. A high white pure bantam cochin that was a gift from my best friend. I was so excited to have her in my program next spring. There’s always losses though, I’m just lucky I have some very healthy brothers and sisters of hers. I will be taking some bio security precautions and deep cleaning the brooder tomorrow. Fingers crossed whatever she had isn’t contagious..

Back
Top Bottom