Spraddle Leg Help

JoPop

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
San Pedro, Belize
Hi Everyone. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide :)

I have read through a lot of spraddle leg threads but just can't seem to get it right for my own chick.... She took a long time to hatch and came out with spraddle leg, which I've never had to deal with before. I used Vetwrap hobbles starting from right after hatch and was doing a lot of sessions each day coaxing her to move around. I also gave her a few drops of multivitamin on day 2. Now she gets around well, but when I removed the hobbles last night her splay was worse than ever. Her stance was really wide and she could barely walk on her own.

She's 6 days old and I'm really worried that progress isn't being made. She still manages to point her feet out / hocks in no matter how I do the wrap. She's a cuddly, happy chick who eats and drinks just fine (and purrs when being held!), so I'm really hoping I can get her through this.

Here's a video of pretty typical movement & stance at the end. This is a new type of hobble I'm trying out with a straw & rubber band. Does this hobble placement look OK? Is there anything else I should be doing to help this little one out??

Thanks again -- my fingers are crossed!

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom