Spraddle Leg Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoPop, Jul 21, 2016.

1. JoPop

JoPop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    San Pedro, Belize
    Hi Everyone. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide :)

I have read through a lot of spraddle leg threads but just can't seem to get it right for my own chick.... She took a long time to hatch and came out with spraddle leg, which I've never had to deal with before. I used Vetwrap hobbles starting from right after hatch and was doing a lot of sessions each day coaxing her to move around. I also gave her a few drops of multivitamin on day 2. Now she gets around well, but when I removed the hobbles last night her splay was worse than ever. Her stance was really wide and she could barely walk on her own.

She's 6 days old and I'm really worried that progress isn't being made. She still manages to point her feet out / hocks in no matter how I do the wrap. She's a cuddly, happy chick who eats and drinks just fine (and purrs when being held!), so I'm really hoping I can get her through this.

Here's a video of pretty typical movement & stance at the end. This is a new type of hobble I'm trying out with a straw & rubber band. Does this hobble placement look OK? Is there anything else I should be doing to help this little one out??

Thanks again -- my fingers are crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by