Spraddle Leg in 7 week old? Update

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
in the past few days my 7 week old RIR has been walking like shes drunk she cannot run and is unable to stand really and kind of sometimes makes her foot a club. is this spraddle leg or something else? i need help if its something she can spread to my other chicks. thanks

Last edited:
First, It won't spread to others unless it's caused by an infection or disease.

Spraddle leg is common in young chicks but becomes more rare as they get older unless they are dropped or they have a slippery floor.

Spraddle leg is treated by hobbling the two legs together with tape (or bandaids in chicks).

Anna, don't mean to bump in on your post but

Mahonri, could you explain that procedure of hobblin or band-aids? i posted same question last night and well nobody answered....I have a Canadian Goose someone gave me was found in Wal-Mart parking lot, and it seems to have spraddle leg , just like Anna said it sorta gimps and drags that leg often stumbling ...never had a goose before, and oh its a doll baby, guessing i would say it's 4-5 weeks old its a tad bigger then my 6 week old chics ....and Anna if i get any better information ill pass it along to ya,

Dixie

I had that same problem, Anna. In fact, I had it twice. The first hen lived, the second died. The first was a perfectly healthy EE pullet, and one day she was found lying on the ground being pecked by the others. I saved her, though, but she could not stand. During the next few weeks she slowly regained the ability to walk, but she was very wobbly, falling over all the time. She's fine now, just a little wobbly.
The other hen was like the first (she was a campine) in that she had serious trouble balancing. She was a little better a few days later, but about a week after this, she grew very sick. She would barely eat, and had diahrea and a drooping comp and everything, and after a few weeks had a painful death.
Both were not contagious. I've no idea what the problems were. I hope your hen ends up being like the first. Is your hen sitting down, not even able to stand?

thank you so much chickencharmer i was half afraid to post worried that the answers would all be to cull. now i will try and wait it out and try to hobble. but like you said with yours since this started she is always being picked on and it is so sad because i put her in a separate pen and she was as close as she could get to the others. but she can stand she just doesn't remain standing she seems like she would rather sit but did stand when i gave her some feed in her own pen i have been watching her and her poop seems normal she doesn't have much of a comb being so young so other than being ungainly right now she is in otherwise good health. now Mahonri would being allowed out on a muddy surface be bad enough to cause this? they are allowed to roam in and out all day even in the rain so the mud has been slick but the inside of their coop is not. DixieDame67 not a problem i am now looking for that answer myself to see if i can get her to mend a little faster. thanks everyone

well it has been 2 weeks and i had pretty much given up hope but today i noticed her standing on both legs wobbly but still up. then she walked later and was walking slow but normal. all i did was lock her in a smaller area with 2 buddies and have a nice nonslip straw bedding and looks like my girl is getting better. thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom