Spraddle leg in duckling..

SarahG-T

Hatching
May 5, 2021
Hi, I’m new here and to incubating eggs. I currently have a two day duckling who had a very stressful delivery into this world. We had to assist as the pipping started on the smaller side of the egg and had taken over 48 hours with no progression. When he/she arrived it had a crippled toe and spent most of its time on its back unable to walk. We splinted the toe for the last two days and movement has improved but is still not brilliant, however I’m unsure whether it has spraddle leg or not. (Duckling on left in pic) The duckling on the right hatched Friday and is coming on great. I am so worried this duckling. I also noticed it has what I have identified from google pasty butt so worried about this also. Please could anyone give their opinions on whether you think it is spraddle foot or not and why this little ones has pasty butt. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 4DEF7C84-DBD8-4D17-BCFD-D5DA72E59883.jpeg
    4DEF7C84-DBD8-4D17-BCFD-D5DA72E59883.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to BYC.
Besides the size, the duckling appears normal; if the duckling is walking abnormally, a video would better portray that.
Do you have a picture of the duckling's vent - is there fecal matter accumulation?
You may see some improvement in her condition if you try starting her on a poultry vitamin for a few days. Ducklings can often develop nutritional, and electrolyte deficits which the poultry vitamin would help correct.

Hi, I’m new here and to incubating eggs. I currently have a two day duckling who had a very stressful delivery into this world. We had to assist as the pipping started on the smaller side of the egg and had taken over 48 hours with no progression. When he/she arrived it had a crippled toe and spent most of its time on its back unable to walk. We splinted the toe for the last two days and movement has improved but is still not brilliant, however I’m unsure whether it has spraddle leg or not. (Duckling on left in pic) The duckling on the right hatched Friday and is coming on great. I am so worried this duckling. I also noticed it has what I have identified from google pasty butt so worried about this also. Please could anyone give their opinions on whether you think it is spraddle foot or not and why this little ones has pasty butt. Thanks in advance.
If it was spraddle foot they would've healed within 48 hours of putting the splint on. You can try it again but if It didn't work the first time it's unlikely to help again. With pasty butt alot of chicks get it within their first week of life especially with spraddled legs run their butt under warm water and remove the faeces with a cotton pad. Keep doing this until it stops building up. Also make sure you dry the area before putting them back with other chicks. If they see the exposed pink area they make peck at them.

Back
Top Bottom