Spraddle leg or injury?

Aubrey, I recently posted under "cute chicks" a chick I had that had the same problem. Look at the way I have her feet done. But remember to watch her/him afterwards to make sure he/she don't fall in the drinking water or fall period. This little chick just toppled over on the table where the pic was taken, hit her head and died, after everything I tried to help her. Good Luck!

Thank you, I will try all of those things. Irony mind taking it to the vet, I think I'm just going to have a hard time finding a chicken vet in the middle of the city
hmm.png
poor baby

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Aubrey, I recently posted under "cute chicks" a chick I had that had the same problem. Look at the way I have her feet done. But remember to watch her/him afterwards to make sure he/she don't fall in the drinking water or fall period. This little chick just toppled over on the table where the pic was taken, hit her head and died, after everything I tried to help her. Good Luck!

Okay I will, thanks so much. I really want to keep this baby​

Don't look for a chicken vet, look for a vet that frequently deals with avian exotics.

I would ask the seller about the chick- ask if it is one of the bonus ones.

It could be an error, or an injury,. sometimes things don't go as planned despite the best intentions
sad.png

To me, it looks like a gross deformity but I could be wrong. Your best bet to figure out if it is a birth defect or a bonus chick that might not be such a hot bonus is to ask the person you got them from. If it is a birth defect, I am guessing it is too late to fix. Also, it looks as though the joint might be involved? Can the chick bend the leg properly and does it have proper range of motion (at the knee, at the hip joint, at the ankle)? I had a couple chicks hatch last year that I had to euthanize because they had joint deformities that, unlike spraddle leg, were not fixable and would have permanently affected the chicks quality of life. Basically, the knee didn't bend the right way, and they couldn't ambulate well.

So, ask the seller about the history, even if you do take the chick to a vet the vet will want to know as much about the duration and history of the problem as possible.

thanks guys
smile.png
i believe it is a slipped tendon after doing some research. it fits the bill. i talked to the seller and she is very upset. i do believe that this happened during transit, she is very worried about the chick... will let you know what happens after the vets... it took me a while to find someone who will take a baby chick!

I am so glad you talked to the seller. So many problems can be solved with effective communication. In shipping things can happen. Good luck at the vet.

Back
Top Bottom