Spraddle leg??? Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherTheMommy, Sep 15, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    This baby hatched yesterday under my broody. Today her legs are straight out on front of her in a v. Like she can't lean up to even try to stand on them. I have never dealt with this issue before so I need advice. I tried my best to splint the legs but will rewrap later when my husband is home to help me. Shes inside now and I feel bad taking her away from mom. Please help![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I have had some pretty good luck with sticking them into a shot glass when their legs are like this. It has to be a small one that forces the chicken the stand on its feet. I usually leave them in for a few hours and take them out for a couple and then back in for a few more. A day or 2 and its fixed. Just another possible option if taping doesn't stay

4. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    She seems to be improving. She is now standing on her taped legs. Very wobbly but standing which she couldn't do a few hours ago even with taped legs.[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's great! They thankfully usually recover within days when they are this young, depending on the severity of course. And she's such a cutie, I hope she'll be fully fine soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by