Spraddle Leg - Splay Leg Treatment Instructions

thanks for answering..........we have had much success in our treatment. I first had yarn wrapped a couple times from leg to leg...she peeped alot...then I took that off and placed a bandaid brace that didnt pull the feathers.
...really, it was a couple of them giving her room enough between the legs to move about but not to allow the leg to lean outwad too far. She fell into the bowl of water head first so she wouldnt go near water...she didnt know what food was for at 5 days old...and she couldnt walk.
it was a complete nightmare..........for us both.
I was deturmined to get her well...I forced fed her water an food every hour...about a drop or 2...then I took all the wood shavings out of the cage ( as she was tasting them instead of the food bowl.)and dumped food on a towell spread out as a floor...to give her a nice surface to walk on....and placed bandaids on her ancles.

It took about 10 days to get her walking.....she peeped alot but when i took the bandaid off she stopped peeping....she has a wider gait than the others but she is walking now.... She is 4 months old
she finally realized that all that pebble type stuff under her feet was food.....and she finally realized the water in the bowl wasnt going to hurt her.When she ate for the first time at 6 days old.....she ate for an hour.....I sat and watched her eat like a kid at a candy shop.....

All in all...it was a terrible experience for the both of us.....but she is about 4 months from laying eggs.
I learned alot from this baby chick...the dos and donts...and if i ever have another spraddle leg chick...I will know what to do right off...
as with our first child...we learn thro trial and error....
She is a beatiful blue cochin now......and when I see her run around ............it gives me a sense of accomplishment...that I didnt just let her die, we worked for 2 weeks, day and night and i finally got her to walkling.

the bandaid is the way to go.....with the Cochin.....just place 2 bandaids face to face for the center and around the ancles so it doesn't pull the feathers...making it loose.....and then bandaiding the center....together.

jean

Last edited:

Just wanted to share my experience, band aids were too hard on my silkies with their fluffy feet. I do the rubber band treatment but make a very small tight bow knot (so it doesn't unravel) and slip their feet into the loops. It's a two man job but it works! Here's Tiny Tim who got trampled by his mother accidentally. He runs and jumps with the other chicks. I made the mistake of removing it after 24 hours and it wasn't healed, so I quickly remade one and will leave it for about a week and see. So far so good!

Here's a link for anyone who needs to know how to treat spraddle leg/splay leg.  It has step-by-step instructions and pictures.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

It would be nice if this could be made a sticky because everytime I've tried to find this information for someone posting for help it's taken me a long time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps a lot I just hatched my first hatch- and I have one little jersey giant with this issue-I can't wait to get home and fix up his little legs he is 3 days old -is this to late or will it still work to fix his legs?

Here's a link for anyone who needs to know how to treat spraddle leg/splay leg.  It has step-by-step instructions and pictures.

Thank you

It would be nice if this could be made a sticky because everytime I've tried to find this information for someone posting for help it's taken me a long time.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Ruth! I just did my first prosthesis. :)

Thanks this has helped us alot we are just finishing up our very first hatch and I have a little jersey giant with this issue! I have taped his legs now and hopefully we'll be well on his/her way to full recovery

Hope this helps.
ty I got the band aid on my chick and it's standing fingers crossed it does the trick

Thanks Ruth, hopefully this is what is wrong with my latest chick.... the one leg seemed turned a bit, probably from having a hard time hatching and it tries to walk on the side of the foot... I am trying the rubberband thing and will see just how well or if it works. Thanks

I would recommend using something that's not stretchy. A band-aid or tape would be good. I knew of an owner who started out with an elastic for a hobble but later regretted that because it had too much flex, and the chick's walking didn't get corrected.
I have also heard of at least one person who had success with an elastic.
It probably depends on how stretchy the elastic is and how strong the chick is.
Wishing you the best with your chick
smile.png

SpeckledHills, I tried the rubberband, but she/they got it off, so now I have embroidery thread, but that may still be a bit too wide, so I may be going to the band-aid.... she is a lively little thing and gets around fine on the one leg, but we will see how it goes.... her foot has flattened out, which is a good thing.... she started out walking on the side of it....but, even being almost 2 days later than the others, they pecked at her to begin with because she has spots.... but now she holds her own and pecks back! She is the most skiddish of them all tho....

Thanks for the info.....

Back
Top Bottom