spraddle leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicola, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i think one of my newly hatch bantam cochins has slpyed or spraddle leg how do u put a band aid splint on it with all the feathers on its legs and should i wait till tomorrow to make sure it is spradle or splayed leg

2. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Don't wait, move fast. The less time it is alive with its legs in the wrong position the better. Its body will be forming during the time it is untreated, and it will be shaping itself to the wrong position. We had a frizzle bantam cochin spraddle recently. I placed a band-aid split lengthwise as a splint immediately. It took a couple days to heal, but we replaced the splint with the other half anyway to be sure. It spent 4 days with a splint on. I didn't want to leave it with the impediment of restricted movement for any longer than I had to. The stunted early growth due to a lack of mobility has stayed with it, and it's still smaller by far than it's same breed hatchmate. It's name is Band-aid because of the whole thing. The splint came free of the feathers with no problem, mostly on its own.

3. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    ok i put a splint on hopefully it will heal fast

4. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    ok i put a splint on hopefully it will heal fast

We put a splint on one of ours last night. She had the toughest time moving around to get water and the rest were trampling her. We put a splint on her right before bedtime and separated her (put a little buddy w/ her) and this morning she's walking around like there was never a problem. We'll leave it on for a few days, too. As far as the feathers on the legs, we left some of the band-aid backing on, right where it would hit her feathers. So far, so good. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by