Sprained leg?

Reawsphant01

Songster
May 14, 2020
Amersham, London, United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a chick around 4 months old and she lives with a broody hen and her chicks. Recently I have found that this chick is not walking correctly. She sort of hops in a way and tries to avoid pressing on her left leg. She stands normally and its just fine but she cant walk that much. I am unsure of what to do, please could you advise me on what I need to do, eg. Bandage

Please post pictures of her standing from the front or back at eye level, so we can see the position of her legs, even if you have to have someone hold her upright. Also, if a video is possible, it can be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here, that may be helpful.

Injuries can be common. Leg bone deformities, such as varus or valgus, twisted tibia, and others are common in all poultry. Those may occur in one leg or both. A slipped tendon is common at hatch or after an injury. Most of those are not correctable unfortunately. If the chick can get around well enough to get food and water, they usually can adapt. But many may die or need to be put down. Here is some reading a about a few of the deformities:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

Hi there, I have a chick around 4 months old and she lives with a broody hen and her chicks. Recently I have found that this chick is not walking correctly. She sort of hops in a way and tries to avoid pressing on her left leg. She stands normally and its just fine but she cant walk that much. I am unsure of what to do, please could you advise me on what I need to do, eg. Bandage
How does her face and comb look? Did she already start to lay? Is she some kind of production hybrid?

Sometimes the first egg(s) can cause a pullet to limp on their left leg for several days, as the oviduct runs along the left side and the egg might put some pressure on the ischiatic nerve.

Did you alredy check her foot, toes and sole for any kind of swelling or other injury?

How does her face and comb look? Did she already start to lay? Is she some kind of production hybrid?

Sometimes the first egg(s) can cause a pullet to limp on their left leg for several days, as the oviduct runs along the left side and the egg might put some pressure on the ischiatic nerve.

Did you alredy check her foot, toes and sole for any kind of swelling or other injury?
No i dont think she has started to develop a comb at all, and the rooster doesnt seem too interested in her. So probably not a first egg

Please post pictures of he
20210725_111818.jpg
20210725_111757.jpg
20210725_111742.jpg
r standing from the front or back at eye level, so we can see the position of her legs, even if you have to have someone hold her upright. Also, if a video is possible, it can be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here, that may be helpful.

Injuries can be common. Leg bone deformities, such as varus or valgus, twisted tibia, and others are common in all poultry. Those may occur in one leg or both. A slipped tendon is common at hatch or after an injury. Most of those are not correctable unfortunately. If the chick can get around well enough to get food and water, they usually can adapt. But many may die or need to be put down. Here is some reading a about a few of the deformities:

It is hard to see her legs in the pictures to tell anything at all. Can you place her on a table or flat surface and get a picture showing both legs side by side? Does one leg turn out or in?

Please post pictures of her standing from the front or back at eye level, so we can see the position of her legs, even if you have to have someone hold her upright. Also, if a video is possible, it can be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here, that may be helpful.

It can eat and drink however I always see it sitting down. I will try and post a video. But what I dont get is that it happened gradually, it just started to limp every 4 steps or so and a few days later it is struggling to walk

Back
Top Bottom