Spraying Chickens With A Hose?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So it's almost 100 here, which I know folks in warmer climates are used to, but it's unusual for my area. I was thinking about how dogs and kids and some other animals like being sprayed with a hose on hot summer days and was wondering if the chickens would like this, or if it would terrorize them? I certainly don't want to scare them, so I just thought I'd ask.

2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Mine enjoy it if I let the hose run and they can stand in the cold puddles. They're not big fans of being actually sprayed, though....which I how I've shooed them out of my hosta bed a few times. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine hate being sprayed, but they love the water running in the coop. They run for cover if I spray them.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My birds hate it...they will run from any water sprayed.
    But i did just wet down their run..so maybe it will help cool them down a bit more.
    Also, i have heard of folks putting out pans of ice and as it melts the birds will walk or sit on the pan to cool off...

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats a goood idea! Maybe i can just let the hose run and let them go to it themselves...
    Thanks!

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have an automatic feed waterer, but I also have a large dog dish in there too. I filled that with water just as a back up and they're standing in it. I have sand in my run, so they are digging in and laying in the sand. I wonder if wetting it would ruin that? Maybe I'll spray down one area and give them the option....

7. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Mine absolutely love water. When I dig a small hole (*about 4" deep or less) and let the water run into it, they will stand in it when it gets really hot, but when it's only about 20 degrees Celsius they will peck at it and watch it for a while until I shut it off. I tried letting a misting sprinkler run in one corner of the run once when it when it was really hot and they would go under it for maybe 15 seconds then run off and come back again later. But apperently my chickens don't mind the rain because they tend to roost outside in the run instead of in the coop during a rainstorm, and they get soaking wet hahaha.

8. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    Mine dislike spray (we tried the sprinkler) But love to lay over in the running water. We have city and well water. The well water being the coldest. I turned it on today and said enjoy:p They had a great time. Now it is cooled off and looks like rain so maybe we will get some relief.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine didn't like being sprayed but they got it anyway. My dog didn't enjoy it either, but I think she was happier once she was wet and back in the shade. These poor animals... I wish we could A/C the world right now!

10. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I have a Buff Orp hen who thinks that the tub I use as a waterer is a swimming pool. [​IMG] They hate being sprayed hard, but if you kind of mist them they love it. That hen loves to be misted, she runs to the door when I have a hose...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by