spreading lime in outdoor chicken run

burt4750

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
Lexington, KY
We have had quite a bit of rain lately here in Kentucky causing what was left of my playground chips in the outdoor run to be washed away. Now, the outdoor run is pretty smelly. Is it okay to spread lime on the ground after the chooks go to bed and let it get soaked up? Will it reduce the smell?

I'm having the same problem in the covered section of the run but it still has wood chips in it but a lot is wet due to the runoff from the horrendous rains we have had in the last week or so. I want to do the same thing as well.

Help!!

We have had quite a bit of rain lately here in Kentucky causing what was left of my playground chips in the outdoor run to be washed away. Now, the outdoor run is pretty smelly. Is it okay to spread lime on the ground after the chooks go to bed and let it get soaked up? Will it reduce the smell?

I'm having the same problem in the covered section of the run but it still has wood chips in it but a lot is wet due to the runoff from the horrendous rains we have had in the last week or so. I want to do the same thing as well.

Help!!
What you need to do is dry things out.
Can you post pictures of your setup?
If runoff is getting into the run you need to divert it so it can't.

Diverting is probably impossible. My yard has quite a slope to it. I know I need to dry it out, but I don't want the chickens to be running around on saturated, muddy ground. I do plan on getting bags of pine pellets to spread around until I can get more playground mulch delivered. This last rain was a record setter. Quite a bit of flooding in the southeastern part of the state. I usually don't have such a problem because the ground dries pretty quickly after a normal rain. I was thinking of using the lime for the smell.

Back
Top Bottom