Spring 2011 RAISE-A-LONG!

Quote:
AWWW!!! We have some that look very similar
smile.png

Quote:
Let me tell ya this hatch for some reason got away from me. It seemed like i just put them in then i happen to look at the calender for something else and realized i was at the day before lock down. And my temp was low and so was humidity. But so far so good.
I have 2 more that are wrking their way into the world. I have not gotten anything done in the house and i litterly mean it LOL
so so far been looking at bator, chicks, and some house wrk all day LOL
And back to wrk tomorrow and do not want to go !!

I am about to take some pics and load them up to the computer

deana

Don't open your incubator until your hatch is COMPLETELY done! Please! And you don't need or have to give them grow gel, but since you are than wait till they're in the brooder.

yes i have waited to open the bator. and will give them grow gel in the brooder. I did have to take some out sense they kept pushing up on the lid. but the rest are still hatching. had 4 last night but 2 of them did not make it. They passed away shortly after their hatches. so had to get them out of there fast. have one trying to hatch now. This will make 11 when this one hatches out.

We just purchased our first chickies on Saturday! 5 Barred Rock pullets. We hope to get 1 or 2 more of a different breed, too.

A question that I have is when can I start feeding my chicks treats? Also, right now they are in a rubbermaid tote. How long will they fit in this tote for? Will they be able to stay in there long enough until I put them in the coop or will I need some sort of in-between cage? If so, what size of in-between cage will I need? Hmmmm...so many questions.
smile.png

Quote:
Congrats on the new addictions...
wink.png

I give my chicks boiled/scrambled eggs and wet chick starter for the first couple of weeks for treats. Once they get older you can give them other things.
smile.png
If you have just 3 chicks then they might be able to, depending on how fast you get your coop done. You might possibly need in-between-pen for them.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
wink.png

I give my chicks boiled/scrambled eggs and wet chick starter for the first couple of weeks for treats. Once they get older you can give them other things.
smile.png
If you have just 3 chicks then they might be able to, depending on how fast you get your coop done. You might possibly need in-between-pen for them.

For the wet chick starter do you just put a little water in their starter?​

Quote:
wink.png

smile.png

For the wet chick starter do you just put a little water in their starter?

I wouldn't make all ther chick starter wet. I'd get a small jar lid or something and make some mash in that. I just get a tiny, tad of what just enough to make the food "moist"..not really "wet".

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
For the wet chick starter do you just put a little water in their starter?

I wouldn't make all ther chick starter wet. I'd get a small jar lid or something and make some mash in that. I just get a tiny, tad of what just enough to make the food "moist"..not really "wet".​

Got it! THANKS!

Quote:
I wouldn't make all ther chick starter wet. I'd get a small jar lid or something and make some mash in that. I just get a tiny, tad of what just enough to make the food "moist"..not really "wet".

Got it! THANKS!

Welcome.
smile.png

Our chicks arrived alive and healthy and hungry. My husband called me at work. Our postlady said they had just come in to the post office and she grabbed them and brought them right to our house! She gently carried the box and handed it to my husband and said, "your mail is back in the truck there somewhere, I haven't even sorted it yet, I'll drop it later". Wow. GREAT postlady.

While on the phone with my husband, he kept giggling while he was talking to me. He kept calling the chicks "adorable". I ordered 5, there were only 4 in the box. I emailed the hatchery and got a reply of "oh, sorry, we'll give you a credit". Kind of annoyed me that there was no explanation.

I was insanely jealous of my husband the rest of the work day and could hardly get anything done.

The chicks really are adorable. One seems quite a bit smaller and not as active, but is eating and drinking, so I'm just keeping an eye on her. We have them on medicated chick crumble and all seem to do everything as a group. Run to the feeder, run to the waterer, sleep in a little pile.

Unbelievably cute and a very pretty color. Kind of like a light honey.

I'm pretty jazzed.

Back
Top Bottom