Spring 2011 RAISE-A-LONG!

Ooh, a thread I can actually post in...

My husband, 3 daughters, and I made the mistake of going to Rural King in Paris, IL last weekend. We had talked about raising chickens again, but hadn't really thought about buying chicks. BUT, they had $.50 chicks and who can't resist a deal like that. Plus they were already 2+ weeks old, so that made me feel a bit safer and we bought 6. But then my oldest daughter, 4, absolutely had to have a little Golden Sebright, so we got two of those. Unfortunately, we lost both of them. After the first little one died, I panicked about my daughter being upset, and ordered 25 barred rock pullets. I was being reasonable I thought, thinking that we might lose a few, and a few might be sexed wrong, you know. But I also considered that I would like for the ones we had to be a bit older and ready to move out to the coop. So we now have 6+25 on the way April 15th-ish. But tonight we decided we better go get some Long John Silvers and stop by Rural King in Terre Haute. Just to make sure they didn't have any 50 centers there. None, but they did have the SLW that I wanted to order, so I grabbed 10 of those and 3 RIR, and 2 Buff Orpingtons. So now I have 22 chicks with 25 more on the way, and a coop big enough for 32 chickens. So now I have to convince my husband to build another coop. Because I think I might want more variety, and maybe raise a few babies of my own one day......oh dear, this is going to get ugly. I was going to take pictures tonight, but I'm afraid they won't turn out well with the flash, so I will hopefully add some tomorrow.

yah! I wanna join!

we have had our chickies for a whole week now! They are all doing great!

we have: 1 Plymoth Rock, 2 EEs, 2 Cochins, 3 Silkies (1 black 2 light), and 2 mystery Bantams.

names: Ruby, Easter, Jade, Chili, Buffy, Zero, Snow, Pfau, Blue and Ellie.

Ruby, Easter and Jade are older than the others, even thoug we got them all at the same time. They are bigger, wing featers are in good, and tail feathers coming in.

our brood box won't last too much longer...we will have to upsize soon. We hope to get our coop built next weekend. We are planning a raised coop with a run. It will be inside our fenced yard, and we can semi free range when we are home.

I can post pics when I get back to my computer. I am on my phone now.

yes! Absolutely perfect! I have a completely bare 1/2 acre pasture that I need to figure out what to do where. I'm so excited to build their coop now!

I would like to report that this morning there was chicken poop stuck to the wall a foot above the the top edge of the brooder. The brooder with a wire top on it, and 10-day old chicks in it. That's talent, right there. You wish your chicks could fling their poo three feet into the air.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I found poop on the top edge of the brooder, but have yet to find it a foot above.

wow that is pretty talented! Best I got are my chicks standing on my feet while I go potty (they are in the bathroom) I give up trying to keep them in the brooder. They get cold and instead of getting back in they just cheep and cry for me to come put them in.

count this chicken luver in. We have 3 yellow chicks, 2 black chicks and one chick turning brown (no clue what breed, just labeled pullet). So far the chick pack had to move to a bigger brooder and is learning to sit on perches and play in the nesting box. We have had them 3 weeks on wensday but we think there a bit older, since they were kinda big at TSC. We have no coop, and curently, cant aggree on a coop plan (EEK!). Well, at least it dosent get warm enough to let them out yet. They do love going on adventures, mostly to the bathroom. They love the bathroom since we have a bit of a bug problem there, so they help clean it up. Im trying to hand train my babies but so far ive only got two that sit in my hand. Oh and my chickens hate apples! As for chicken talents, mine can scare off the cats with a cheep- screach noise!

EDITED: duhh for chick pics
102_2535.jpg

102_2539.jpg

102_2541.jpg

Last edited:
ok, got 2 more chicks. Whoops. What's 2 more, right??? The local feed store had Cuckoo Marans....how could I NOT get some, right????

Here they are (no names yets)

cuckooBwk1.jpg

cuckooAwk1.jpg

and here are the others with thier week 2 pictures:

Pfau--While (?) Silkie

Pfauwk2.jpg

Snow--White (?) Silkie
Snowwk2.jpg

Zero---Black Silkie
Zerowk2.jpg

Ruby--Barred Plymoth Rock

Rubywk2.jpg

Chili--Cochin (this one is really really freindly)

Chiliwk2A.jpg

Buffy---Cochin
Buffywk2.jpg

Jade--Easter Egger (she is SO friendly!)
Jadewk2.jpg

Easter--Easter Egger (my most flighty bird so far)
Easterwk2.jpg

Blue--Mystery Bantam
Bluewk2.jpg

Ellie---Mystery Bantam
Elliewk2.jpg

I like how they are getting so friendly. You can tell the Cochins, Easter eggers and plymoth Rock are older than the silkies/bantams. They have more wing feathers and tail feathers. Jade and Chili are my most friendly so far (with Ruby a close second!). you put your hand in the brood box and they are the first to run up on your hand! Chili is SO fat looking! I know it is feather/down, but she is really ROUND looking! hahaha! It is fun watching them "fly" around now. They are so cute.

It was really warm yesterday, so they go thier first taste of being outside. They LOVED it.

2011-04-02_173258.jpg

Hey Erin! When you take your babies outside, how do you get them together to go back in?? Mine are 2.5 weeks and are still flighty. I'm afraid to take them out for fear of losing them.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom