Spring 2017 first timers post!

I have a question about outside temps for 5 week old chicks. I'm in nw ohio and nights are still below freezing depending on the day. If anyone has any info i am a first timer with 40 chickens and two ducks. Yea we went big. Lol

I am working on my first coop, the brooder will be in the coop and I am using the Mama Heating Pad.  I am getting 7 chicks the first week of April 2017.   I was hoping to get a few of us newbies together who are gearing up for our first time this spring!  Lets post pictures of our coops, our birds when we get them and see who gets the first egg!

Who is in?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here:)

First timer, brought these four lovely ladies home last Thursday (hatched last Monday-Tuesday). The home we recently purchased has a 200 SF coop and the previous owner had an 11-12 bird flock with mainly hens, one rooster, and 4 ducks. We decided to put it to use!

From L-R in the top picture:
Dominique - Dorthy
Speckled Sussex - Rose
Partridge Cochin - Sophia
Columbian Wyandotte - Blanche
More pics below. We're excited to welcome them into the family
yippiechickie.gif

What an absolutely beautiful flock of chicas---LOVE them and their names are so cute!! Can't wait to see more pics!

Ok i guess my post wasnt worded for a question. So I'm asking what temp should it be when moving chicks outside to coop, what age is appropriate, and what should i do add far as maintaining a temp. We built our own coop from pallets

I am working on my first coop, the brooder will be in the coop and I am using the Mama Heating Pad.  I am getting 7 chicks the first week of April 2017.   I was hoping to get a few of us newbies together who are gearing up for our first time this spring!  Lets post pictures of our coops, our birds when we get them and see who gets the first egg!

Who is in?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here:)

I have a question about outside temps for 5 week old chicks. I'm in nw ohio and nights are still below freezing depending on the day. If anyone has any info i am a first timer with 40 chickens and two ducks. Yea we went big. Lol

Ok i guess my post wasnt worded for a question. So I'm asking what temp should it be when moving chicks outside to coop, what age is appropriate, and what should i do add far as maintaining a temp. We built our own coop from pallets

I believe chicks should be about 3 weeks old. You can tell they are ready when they are feathered. They can't keep themselves warm until they grow their feathers in. Purines had a chart that shows 90 for 1-2 weeks, 85 at 2-3 weeks, 80 at 3-4 weeks, 75 at 4-5 weeks and so on. You can use a 75w light bulb (not heat bulb) to supplement some heat when they are outside. Hope that helps some!

Usually people say to move them outside when they are 6 weeks old but I live in California so I'm not sure what temperature it needs to be. GL!

You can definitely keep them outside during the day to start getting them used to outside temps though.

Last edited:

We moved ours outside into the coop after three weeks (they are going to be six weeks in a few days). I do have a ceramic bulb in there for heat since our nights had gone down to 20 degrees for the last two weeks and turn it off during the day. And they have been playing/foraging in the pen.

In my case, 24 hours or so after they arrive or dry off from the incubator here at home. I just watch them until I know they are eating and drinking, know where the heat is, and in the case of shipped chicks, that they aren't suffering from shipping stress. The out to their brooder in the run they go! Our springtime temps dip into the teens and twenties, usually with snow. Three years ago we got our last snowfall on June 6th. <sigh>

Coop is done enough for the girls to move outside. Tonight will be their first night outside.
We have a temporary roost in there for now and still need to mount the nest boxes. Adding shade cloth tomorrow morning.
Coop is 6x12 for six chickens in a 20x20 enclosed side yard they'll have free range in. Once they can get over the gate they'll have the whole back yard to roam.

Back
Top Bottom