Spring 2017 first timers post!

WOOT :woot  WOOT!!!  Chicks made it to the regional USPS hub this morning, only a hour or so:weee away the tracking said they are on way to destination. :yiipchick  local Post office told me they get the afternoon truck about 2:00  its 1130 now:jumpy

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

So happy for you.
1f60a.png

@3riverschick
Our walk in coop is 96 square feet plus 12 nest boxes and 3 roosting bars. They will have plenty of room and then some. We are building the aviary this weekend and it will initially be 280 sq ft. An addition to this aviary (another 280sqft and most likely a second coop will also be added. As they get older the chickens will be allowed to free range on roughly 18 acres. We are a crazy, animal loving family. We currently also have a Muscovy duck and are looking to add 4 more muscovies, 3 geese (they have a house all their own as well), 2 pigeons (my dad has about 200), and possibly rabbits in the future. I'm great with animals as is my husband. Seems I was born with that gift.
1f60a.png
We also share our home with 3 dogs and 8 cats. (We have fur & feather babies!).

Here's the flock! The top chicks were an impulse buy a few days ago. The bottom pick is the integrated flock- the full size birds were bought a week earlier than the silkies and frizzle. They were kept separate until 2 weeks ago at 9ish weeks old. The black frizzle is the smallest, but guards them all well. Believe it or not, he didn't look like a rooster until just a few days ago.

Last edited:
Here's the flock! The top chicks were an impulse buy a few days ago. The bottom pick is the integrated flock- the full size birds were bought a week earlier than the silkies and frizzle. They were kept separate until 2 weeks ago at 9ish weeks old. The black frizzle is the smallest, but guards them all well. Believe it or not, he didn't look like a rooster until just a few days ago.

So many cute chicks, congrats @IdyllwildAcres and @wafarm!

I just put together the MHP for the 4 chickies arriving tomorrow and I'll wash out the waterer and an upside down lid or kid plate as a feeder for starters, as my current chick feeder will be a bit too long for the box.

Wow, I'd forgotten how much easier it is to set up a brooder for 4 chicks vs 18 (15 now) and how much smaller it is, at least for the first week!

Pics tomorrow after they arrive!

I just went out to the coop to check on them as it got fully dark, I could hear one cheeping loudly as I approached the coop, one had not found her way under the heat plate and was distressed. I tucked her under the heat plate and set my alarm for an hour to go check again. I think they will stay put until morning.

Gary

I just went out to the coop to check on them as it got fully dark, I could hear one cheeping loudly as I approached the coop, one had not found her way under the heat plate and was distressed. I tucked her under the heat plate and set my alarm for an hour to go check again. I think they will stay put until morning.

Gary

Good job so far, looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Back
Top Bottom