Spring 2017 first timers post!

Hello, I am a first time Chicken guy. In April I got 6 Buff Orphington's and then on the 1st of July got 15 more and a Goose. No eggs as of yet. But, I am now ready to integrate the younger ones in with the original ones and they are not accepting them well. But, I just did it yesterday. They have all been in the same coop but separated, which I thought would be ok in eliminating any rejection.
Any Suggestions or will they be ok in a few days or so?

What a roller coaster ride this has been. Two of the six chicks we got from tractor supply ended up being roosters so we had to let them go. I bought two pullets from someone to replace them and guess what, they were roosters too!!

So that's it, I decided four chickens it will be. That's enough eggs for our family anyway, right? Two of our girls are Faverolles, which I have read lay smaller eggs a little less frequently so I was counting on my 2 Orpington's to feed the family.
Yesterday we got our first egg! And in doing so learned that one of the Orpington's must be a Bantam. Now I wonder if the other one is too. I've probably got $3000 in these chickens and will still be buying eggs for the rest of my life, argh.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 9
the eggs will be small at first they will get bigger the more she lays is she a small chicken

Well I am not 100% sure whose egg this is. I have 2 Faverolles which I was told would lay smaller, pinkish eggs. Then I have 2 Orps which I was told would lay big brown eggs. This is a tiny, brown egg. LOL I am thinking it must belong to one of the Orp's because of the color.
Of the 2 Orp's, one is smaller than the other but not by a huge degree. The smaller gal is the one in the background of this photo. I have nothing to compare them to size-wise, but each other. They are just over 5 months old now, so I wasn't even sure if they were "full" grown yet. But if they are, and from what I am reading Orp's are supposed to be rather large, then maybe they are BOTH Bantam. I really don't know.

The Faverolle's are supposed to be smaller gals, and I'd say Nugget, my smaller Orp is the same size as them.

I have seen a ton of bad reviews on here from people that got their chicks from them yours are on the better side of it most of the ones I have seen they lost the entire flock within a week of getting them so even with everything you have gone through I would say you were one of the lucky ones

I have seen a ton of bad reviews on here from people that got their chicks from them yours are on the better side of it most of the ones I have seen they lost the entire flock within a week of getting them so even with everything you have gone through I would say you were one of the lucky ones

All of our chickens turned out beautiful and healthy, I like to think we had something to do with that! They just haven't exactly been as advertised.

We got all our chicks from TSC as well :) We got to hand pick them and *luckily* we picked up all pullets :celebrate since that is all we are allowed to have. So grateful that God blessed us while we were picking because if we had gotten cockerels and had to get rid of them, my little ones wouldve been devastated to say the least

Back
Top Bottom