Spring 2017 first timers post!

So did your straight runs end up being pullets? Would love to see pics!
We actually managed to get almost the exact ratio that we shot for. We got one of each rooster and one bantam rooster.
We have Buddy the Light Brahma, Chip the Silver Duck Wing Old English Game Bantam, and Roo the Australorp. Chip is actually the best one of the three. Buddy is just kinda there, Roo is a muscle bound jerk that tries to keep the food for himself, but Chip on the other hand takes care of his girls. As soon as he finds food he calls them over , takes a few bites then backs up and let's them eat. He really impressed me when I had to give them all a once over. I admittedly haven't been doing this as often as I should so my Birds aren't used to being handled and some of them make a bigger deal out of it than others. The first time one of the girls started to flip out he flew up onto my shoulder and watched me check her and proceeded to repeat this with every girl I checked. I've tried to get him to jump up again with treats since then, but he has no interest. All he cared about was his ladies. :p
IMAG0043.jpg IMAG0035.jpg IMAG0018.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_9047.JPG

Added a 17week golden sex link rescue (rest of her flock was eaten by a raccoon) to our group of five 17week pullets (BR, 2xEE, BO, SLW). She came from same hatchery and same local farm as our girls so they even shared a brooder for the first few days.

Anyway -
We kept the GSL in a dog cage next to the run for her first night and the next day to watch the pecking order day then added her to the roost bar after bedtime that night. Next morning there was a lot of pecking for a few hours but mostly settled down.

The top tier girls are nice to her now, she is gentle and has no interest in being dominant. Two days later though, the silver Laced Wyandotte who was 5/5 on the pecking order before she arrived is still harassing her whenever she comes in line of sight. GSL doesn't hang with the flock when they free range because of it, and hangs out on the roost bar in their run when they are in the run. If this doesn't stop soon should we intervene? Separate the SLW into the dog crate for a day and then reintroduce her maybe? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

So, it has been awhile since I have been on here. Just rocking along with my flock. We have quite the mixture with one Delaware, two Leghorn, Three Rhode island reds, one araucana, one Ameraucana, one black copper Maran, one sicilian buttercup, and one welsummer. This is our main flock.

Then we have one black polish, one black Frizzle Cochin, one old English Game and one silver Seabright in our bantam flock.

Our oldest bird is the Delaware who will be 20 weeks this week. So we are starting to keep an eye out for our first egg. Really exciting!

Hope all of my fellow 2017 first timers are doing well!

Tomorrow I will try to post some pics of my flock. I have some picture perfect birds. My ameraucana, welsummer and Delaware in particular. I also have a rhode island red that I think is a rooster even though it hasn't crowed yet. I hope I can get some good pictures for yall. :)

This is our Delaware, Della, who is 20 weeks old and our oldest. We are waiting for her first egg any day.
20170729_095320-1-1.jpg
This is Mary, our Ameraucana. She and the next one are the same age...about 17 weeks.
20170729_095208-2.jpg
The one by the fence is our Sicilian Butter cup. The lighter one was given to me as an araucana but I am not sure.
20170729_095208-3.jpg
This is the other 17-week old, our Welsummer, Summer.
20170729_095208-1.jpg
The pictures aren't the best but I think the coloring on most of these is gorgeous.

So we recently had a birthday party for our now 5 year old and apparently some donuts got forgotten outside. Came home from work the next day to this. I guess chickens like donuts just as much as the rest of us.

Attachments

• WP_20170725_013.jpg
    WP_20170725_013.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 20
Wow I just realized I am not getting notifications on this thread! Maybe its been too long since I posted;(

Is anyone getting eggs? My White Leghorn just started :)

Gary
I have noticed a real decline in use of this forum since they switched over the servers or whatever.

I haven't gotten any eggs yet but we are checking all the time. Some of them have started making quite a bit of noise like egg songs but aren't laying yet.

I went back over my calendar and our current flock. (We have raised probably 30 birds this year but sold and gave away some.) I've determined that as of this week we have:

Three at 22 weeks (Della, a delaware, Chickoletta, a leghorn, and Maranda, a blue copper maran);
Two at 20 weeks (Mary, an ameraucana, and Summer, a welsummer);
Four at about 18 weeks (Thelma and Louise, Leghorns, an ISA Brown and an RIR rooster we need to get rid of);
Five at 17 weeks (Buttercup the Sicilian, and our four bantams Presley, a white crested black polish, Angel, a silver Seabright, Chip, an old English Game, and Rochelle a black Frizzle Cochin);
And our baby Tinkerbell (or Cletus if it is a roo) is 14 weeks. This one is actually bigger than the 17 week old buttercup and has some longish tail feathers but it isn't shiny at all so we shall see. Sold as araucanabut doesn't have muffs or tufts so really not sure.

My daughter came up to me today and said our chickens are broke bc they haven't layed yet. She wants to give them an ultimatum to lay or leave. Lol

Back
Top Bottom