Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
I will be raising chicks for the first time this spring. I started with chickens last June with 7 week old pullets.

I'll be starting chicks for myself and a friend and may try and sell some locally as well. The current plan is for 30 chicks in some combination of Ameraucanas, New Hampshires, and Black Australorps in late February.

Does anyone know an average amount of feed needed to get a chick from 1 day to 7 weeks?

Let me check the back of the bag I just bought and see if they give a feed average. We free feed plus they'll go outside shortly so I couldn't say fro ours.

My chicks are quickly outgrowing their 50 gallon container and will be moved to the rabbit hutch in the garage probably next week.All are thriving. Here's one of my Lavender Orpington babies.
1f917.png

[/IMG]

Let me check the back of the bag I just bought and see if they give a feed average. We free feed plus they'll go outside shortly so I couldn't say fro ours.

I know I've searched in the past with no luck but last night I found this http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/How_much_food_do_chicks_need__63__/ if anyone else is wondering how much feed.

If my math is correct (and the chart on that page accurate) an 8 week old chicken will have consumed about 3.6lbs of feed. And at 12 weeks 7.7lbs

I will offer free choice as well, at least until they are outside have the opportunity to forage. I'm thinking of weighing the feeder each day before and after filling it and recording how much they eat.....of course that'll probably last the first week or until I'm running late for work and don't have time. If I gather enough data to be useful I'll post it somewhere.

Last edited:
I know I've searched in the past with no luck but last night I found this http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/How_much_food_do_chicks_need__63__/ if anyone else is wondering how much feed.

If my math is correct (and the chart on that page accurate) an 8 week old chicken will have consumed about 3.6lbs of feed. And at 12 weeks 7.7lbs

I will offer free choice as well, at least until they are outside have the opportunity to forage. I'm thinking of weighing the feeder each day before and after filling it and recording how much they eat.....of course that'll probably last the first week or until I'm running late for work and don't have time. If I gather enough data to be useful I'll post it somewhere.
According to that feeding chart, I have pigs! I've gone through 5 pounds for 15 chicks the past 9 days. In fairness though, I did take out roughly a cup of feed to ferment and I was also using a cat saucer to feed them the first 4 or 5 days so there was a lot of spillage and wasted food so I'd say they really ate maybe 3 pounds of that 5. I am free feeding and will until they move outside when they're 7-8 weeks old.

My coop will arrive on the 10th of the month and my husband has already gotten everything we need to make modifications including added more ventilations, more secure hardware, extra chicken wire to protect from predators, etc. My chick order has also been placed. I should expect my chicks to ship on February 13th - Valentine's Day chickies! I ordered 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Buff Orpingtons - I was also told and extra chick would be included for good measure. I am beyond excited. Now I need to get the brooder ready and all our feeding supplies.

I have been doing a lot of reading about what to feed these chicks and how to set up their bedding and food/water containers. Any thoughts on what I should get? My Amazon cart is full of goodies but I don't really know what I ACTUALLY need. I'm debating between Medicated vs. Organic starter feed and whether or not to add herbs to the bedding. Do I need probiotic and/or electrolytes to add to their water? If so, how often? Do chicks get scratch as well, any brand recommendations? I've got chick grit in my cart and diatomaceous earth. Anything else?

What feeders/waterers are you all getting?

My coop will arrive on the 10th of the month and my husband has already gotten everything we need to make modifications including added more ventilations, more secure hardware, extra chicken wire to protect from predators, etc. My chick order has also been placed. I should expect my chicks to ship on February 13th - Valentine's Day chickies! I ordered 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Buff Orpingtons - I was also told and extra chick would be included for good measure. I am beyond excited. Now I need to get the brooder ready and all our feeding supplies.

I have been doing a lot of reading about what to feed these chicks and how to set up their bedding and food/water containers. Any thoughts on what I should get? My Amazon cart is full of goodies but I don't really know what I ACTUALLY need. I'm debating between Medicated vs. Organic starter feed and whether or not to add herbs to the bedding. Do I need probiotic and/or electrolytes to add to their water? If so, how often? Do chicks get scratch as well, any brand recommendations? I've got chick grit in my cart and diatomaceous earth. Anything else?

What feeders/waterers are you all getting?
Just a few notes. Prefab coops usually grossly overestimate the capacity. If the manufacturer claims a coop will house 4 to 6, it's really more like 2 or 3. They build them using commercial poultry housing standards, not what really is best for overall well being of the birds. Secondly, chicken wire does not keep predators out. It is simply to keep chickens in. Hardware cloth is what is needed for predator-proofing.
Probiotics are not needed, any balanced chick starter should already have the right probiotics already. A vitamin/electrolyte mix is good to have on hand for shipped chicks. The shipping can be stressful on them, and that solution in their water will help give them a boost upon arrival.
Whether or not you choose to use medicated starter is up to you. If you choose to feed unmedicated, be sure to have something on hand to treat coccidia. Scratch is a treat and should be limited while chicks are young. They are growing rapidly and that growth rate demands that each bite of food be as nutrient dense as possible. Once they are over 6 weeks old, that growth rate begins to slow, and you can begin giving treats, but till then, feed only. Grit is not needed if they are fed a water soluble commercial feed. Grit will be needed once you start giving them things other than feed. DE is also not needed. It can be harmful to the lungs and harms good bugs in the soil as well as bad bugs.

Just a few notes. Prefab coops usually grossly overestimate the capacity. If the manufacturer claims a coop will house 4 to 6, it's really more like 2 or 3. They build them using commercial poultry housing standards, not what really is best for overall well being of the birds. Secondly, chicken wire does not keep predators out. It is simply to keep chickens in. Hardware cloth is what is needed for predator-proofing.
Probiotics are not needed, any balanced chick starter should already have the right probiotics already. A vitamin/electrolyte mix is good to have on hand for shipped chicks. The shipping can be stressful on them, and that solution in their water will help give them a boost upon arrival.
Whether or not you choose to use medicated starter is up to you. If you choose to feed unmedicated, be sure to have something on hand to treat coccidia. Scratch is a treat and should be limited while chicks are young. They are growing rapidly and that growth rate demands that each bite of food be as nutrient dense as possible. Once they are over 6 weeks old, that growth rate begins to slow, and you can begin giving treats, but till then, feed only. Grit is not needed if they are fed a water soluble commercial feed. Grit will be needed once you start giving them things other than feed. DE is also not needed. It can be harmful to the lungs and harms good bugs in the soil as well as bad bugs.
Question about the DE? I was going to mix some with wood ash for their dust bath but if it will cause more harm than good what would you suggest for a feed tub dustbath? Wood ash and sand?

Back
Top Bottom