Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
Fun thread! I am excited to see how we all do. I can't promise to read all of the previous posts, but I've seen some adorable chicks so far!

We just picked these sweet girls (or hopefully girls) up today from Tractor Supply. The sign and staff said they are "Brown Ameraucana" but I'm pretty sure after some research that's not entirely correct - or even a real "breed." I figure perhaps Easter Eggers, but the information said they lay brown eggs and I'm not finding much information on that for Easter Eggers. Oh well, I guess we'll see what we get when the feather and start laying!

By the way, they are huddled in the pics because I turned the heat lamp off for a few seconds to get a non-red pic. They seem happy when the light is on and my approach doesn't spook them. We are planning to get a second heat lamp tomorrow, though, as their brood box is very big and the garage is too chilly for my peace of mind. ;)

Fun thread! I am excited to see how we all do. I can't promise to read all of the previous posts, but I've seen some adorable chicks so far! We just picked these sweet girls (or hopefully girls) up today from Tractor Supply. The sign and staff said they are "Brown Ameraucana" but I'm pretty sure after some research that's not entirely correct - or even a real "breed." I figure perhaps Easter Eggers, but the information said they lay brown eggs and I'm not finding much information on that for Easter Eggers. Oh well, I guess we'll see what we get when the feather and start laying! By the way, they are huddled in the pics because I turned the heat lamp off for a few seconds to get a non-red pic. They seem happy when the light is on and my approach doesn't spook them. We are planning to get a second heat lamp tomorrow, though, as their brood box is very big and the garage is too chilly for my peace of mind. ;)
Adorable chicks! :love I don't think they are Easter eggers because they don't have the "chipmunk" pattern Easter egger chicks usually have, but they sure are cute chicks!

Last edited:
Adorable chicks!
love.gif
I don't think they are Easter eggers because they don't have the "chipmunk" pattern Easter egger chicks usually have, but they sure are cute chicks!
Easter Eggers don't always have the chipmunk pattern. This is Agatha then:

And these two shots are of Agatha as a pullet and as a hen:

This little gray fuzzball was Scout:

And this was Scout as a cockerel.

It's my favorite thing about EEs.......you just never know! But I like Agatha so much that I always look for that soft yellow chick with the charcoal smudge on it's back or head.
lau.gif

These are my new Barred Rock just after I brought them home.
The red coloring is due to a red heat light and red sides to the brooder

Easter Eggers don't always have the chipmunk pattern. This is Agatha then: [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] And these two shots are of Agatha as a pullet and as a hen: [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] This little gray fuzzball was Scout: And this was Scout as a cockerel. It's my favorite thing about EEs.......you just never know! But I like Agatha so much that I always look for that soft yellow chick with the charcoal smudge on it's back or head. :lau
Cute chicks and beautiful birds! Sorry I thought that most EEs had the chipmunk pattern. :idunno

Fun thread! I am excited to see how we all do. I can't promise to read all of the previous posts, but I've seen some adorable chicks so far! We just picked these sweet girls (or hopefully girls) up today from Tractor Supply. The sign and staff said they are "Brown Ameraucana" but I'm pretty sure after some research that's not entirely correct - or even a real "breed." I figure perhaps Easter Eggers, but the information said they lay brown eggs and I'm not finding much information on that for Easter Eggers. Oh well, I guess we'll see what we get when the feather and start laying! By the way, they are huddled in the pics because I turned the heat lamp off for a few seconds to get a non-red pic. They seem happy when the light is on and my approach doesn't spook them. We are planning to get a second heat lamp tomorrow, though, as their brood box is very big and the garage is too chilly for my peace of mind. ;)
Look like gold sex link hens to me. But I guess you'll have to wait and see

Ha! I was told the other chicks TS had in but sold out of were a sexlink variety. I would not be surprised if we ended up with those. It's fine anyhow...we aren't picky and just want decent egg layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom