Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
HI FROM HOPKINSVILLE KY!

This is my flock of 8, the FlufferButters.  We picked them out at TSC on 26 February, at 3 days old. 

We're a military family::: me, the wife and mom; the hubby/dad who is a SFC in the Army; our 7.5 y/o boy; our dog, Wolfie; 2 cats, WhineyButt and Ocean.  After moving 7 times within 12 years, we've finally gotten to settle down on our own little 2 1/2 acre *farm*.  Neither myself or DH were raised on or around farms, so I did about 3 months worth of research on chickens before we got this flock.  We are using the MHP in our brooder, which we refer to as the ChickieCave.

We planned on getting 6 however, a local person told us to get more than we wanted (needed) as, more than likely, we'd lose a couple.  We picked out 8 and, so far, we still have 8!!!:D   So far, we are thrilled to be raising chickens and I can't wait to get them outside into their coop and see the fresh eggs!

Hello and thank you all for your service! We are also a military family in NE Ohio - my husband is Coast Guard stationed at Cleveland and we bought 6 acres about 50 minutes outside of the city. This is supposed to be his last duty station, and so far we plan on settling down here.

Our 6 chicks are also from Tractor Supply and we got them on 2/25 - so they are probably the same age as yours!

Thank you for the advice The Golden Egg!
The picture you saw was just a portion of the brooder. Ill post the full size of it. The lamp unfortunately doesnt raise any higher, but the farther from the light is room temp which is between 68 and 72. I read on another thread to give the chick emergen-c and I think its working. It is now moving more tban it was and grooming itself.
Okay! I'm sorry I just made assumptions. I'm sure glad that is working! I just bought my first chicks this morning without even planning it. :oops: I have 12 more chicks coming in April, but I couldn't stand to wait that long :gig I love them to death!

Okay! I'm sorry I just made assumptions. I'm sure glad that is working! I just bought my first chicks this morning without even planning it. :oops: I have 12 more chicks coming in April, but I couldn't stand to wait that long :gig I love them to death!

No apologies. I appreciate the help trying to figure out how to help my baby. Congratulations on your new babies. Please post pics so we can collectivly awwww.
1f60a.png

No apologies. I appreciate the help trying to figure out how to help my baby. Congratulations on your new babies. Please post pics so we can collectivly awwww.
1f60a.png
Haha :lau thank you!
This is nugget my buff Orpington

This is fried. She is So sweet. She is an australorp

This is pip- squeak she is a lavender Cochin bantam

This is peep my barred rock. She is SUPER loud

Then I have 2 more Cochin bantams, but one is sick and the other is sleeping and possibly sick, so I will leave them be :(

Last edited:
Hello and thank you all for your service! We are also a military family in NE Ohio - my husband is Coast Guard stationed at Cleveland and we bought 6 acres about 50 minutes outside of the city. This is supposed to be his last duty station, and so far we plan on settling down here.

Our 6 chicks are also from Tractor Supply and we got them on 2/25 - so they are probably the same age as yours!

Thank YOU for your service as well!!

I adore the area we ended up in... I just wish we'd made an effort to get more than 2.5 acres. We had to basically home shop online, as we were stationed at Ft Bliss in El Paso, and couldn't fly out here each time we *found* a house. We're hoping to grab a piece of land behind our home that belongs to a neighbor :::fingers crossed:::

We had the FlufferButters out for treats today, to get used to us holding them and such. Here's a better picture of our dog, Wolfie, keeping and *eye* on them:

Haha
lau.gif
thank you!

Then I have 2 more Cochin bantams, but one is sick and the other is sleeping and possibly sick, so I will leave them be
sad.png
See, now DH wanted to name the chickies things like Nugget, Honey Mustard, BBQ, Soup, etc!
lau.gif

I vetoed that quick. Didn't want the FlufferButters to get a complex!

Haha :lau thank you!

Then I have 2 more Cochin bantams, but one is sick and the other is sleeping and possibly sick, so I will leave them be :(

They are precious. Thank you for sharing. I hope everyone recovers quickly.

Back
Top Bottom