1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spring chicken order - keeping everyone happy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Autumn Leaves, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I LOVE the color of the Sicilian Buttercups but I have read about how flighty they are and I have my chickens as pets. I'm afraid they would hate being stuck in my run.

I would like to find a chicken with that coloring that would fit in with my flock.

Considering: Sicilian Buttercup, Golden Campine and Golden Pencilied Hamburgs. Which breed do you all think would fit best with my flock?

Birds are not free ranged due to predator issues, have a safe coop and large run. They do get out in the yard supervised but it is only for a few hours a week.

Current flock: Barred Rock, Dark Brahma, Australorp, New Hampshire, Columbian Cochin
    Adding in Spring: Black Sex Link, Welsummer, Olive Egger, Partridge Brahama, Cream Brabanter, Cream Legbar

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All three of those breeds are very active, vigorous foragers. They may not be happy there. Hamburgs like to sleep in trees.

3. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Dang, I was thinking it was true but I'm in denial. I would hate for them to be unhappy.

Maybe I could just get some Red Quill Dutch Bantams to get the color.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  5. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I gave it a look - thanks for the link.

I'll get some Old English Game girls. Seems most people find them very friendly to their people and their small size means they won't mind hanging out in a tractor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by