Spring Chickens - We survived winter!

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
You know it's tough when you're walking to your car and thinking, "Hmmmm, it feels like it's warming up...." only to check the temp and find that it's 11!! It's all in the perspective, I suppose. That was only 2 days ago...

Buuuuuttttt, currently the sun is out and it's 45 outside. My chookies are roaming the back yard, finding patches of grass through the snow, and scratching/pecking the frozen turf for all it's worth. Not very productive, but I think they're just so thankful to be outside their prison walls....

It has been my first winter with chickens - heck ANY outside pet - and we made it. We survived -25F, weeks were it didn't even get to 0 for a daytime high and 5 months of general winter cold, but I think the Spring Thaw is just around the corner. It's warming up enough to start snowing, but at least it won't last long at this point. No frostbite, some feather picking and everybody kept laying consistently, even tho we didn't supplement with light.

Not meaning to brag, but I'm just in heaven right now!! Happy Spring Everybody!!

jumpy.gif
Yay! Me too! Longest winter ever!
jumpy.gif

Happy Spring!

Isn't it funny... It's 45 here today, and we are bundled up...the chickens are locked up tight in the coop with a heat lamp. Brrrrrrr it's cold! In a couple of days it'll be in the upper 70's and we'll feel much better then...
lau.gif

It all depends on what you are used to...It is almost 50 today and I have been running out to the coop with boots and no jacket Spring is in ONE WEEK
wee.gif
I can hardly wait and I know my birds will love the delicious grasses as soon as the snow melts...I put my babies out into the coop today...

TXMom, while running errands this morning, my kids asked me to open the sunroof and it was only 40. Like I said, it's all in the perspective!!

PS - I dream of 70 degrees...

Last edited:
Yep, perspective is everything, but I am definitely ready for spring and 80 degrees. We had a taste of that last week and then this cold front came through. But this coming week...Spring Break for my kids...is going to be very pleasant and we look forward to doing some outdoor things. I've never had a garden, but I want to start planting just a few things this year. I'm going to plant Sunflowers, Tomatoes and Swiss Chard...mostly for my chicks.
big_smile.png

My chickens didn't mind the cold of winter and were out in it every single day. I started to keep them in during an ice storm, but they complained so much I gave in and let them out.
They've been walking around soaking wet for the past four days. I don't think they care if it warms up or not, but I'm sure they'd appreciate some sunshine - so would I.

Back
Top Bottom