Spring Chicks in Newfoundland

mrs bhudda

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Rural Newfoundland
What a great site! I found you because I was looking for information on bright yellow poop, which one of the hens was producing, and was so impressed I just had to join. We live in rural Newfoundland and have 40 hens and, currently, five roosters. My crowd were out scratching in the sun yesterday, having a Spring dirt bath and finding a few green shoots under the newly thawed snow. Today we have a snow-storm, 30cm snow, 70mph winds and white-out conditions! My clever partner designed the coop to share a wall with our greenhouse and we put a chicken-sized door between the two. What a stroke of genius. They have had a great winter using the dormant greenhouse as their sun-room, fertilising and scratching in the earth. I got myself all wrapped up and just took them a good feed of bread, milk and molasses and they are doing fine. They even laid 17 eggs in the fine snow which had blown into the nesting boxes.
Last year we added 2 Silkies to the flock. I love their personalities, they are fantastic aunties to some motherless chicks we reared - said chicks are now the same size as the Silkies and still snuggle up with them. I'm looking forward to being part of this great online community and sharing my passion for all things hen related.

welcome-byc.gif
from Oregon!

Back
Top Bottom