Spring cleaned the duck house after long Winter!!

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
It was in the 40's today and a good amount of snow had melted so I threw on my new cute polka dot rain boots, a long sleeve shirt and tackled cleaning the duck house and run. All Winter I dreaded this day since I was using the deep litter method. I had never done this before since it was my first Winter with the ducks, so I didn't know what to expect. I knew I had to get out there before things started to thaw out and start stinking. After 3 hours, 4 large garbage bags of hay and duck poop, and tons of heavy lifting things are looking [and smelling] back to normal! I even dragged out the hose holder from the garage, hooked it up outside and gave everything a good cleaning! My ducks happily laid in the sun and watched while I cleaned their house and carried hundred pound bags of their poop across the yard. I could just imagine what the neighbors were thinking if they saw me...

1. She must really love those ducks to go through all that trouble
2. She must be nuts to go through all that work for just ducks!
3. She does NOT look like the type to be doing dirty work
4. She has her makeup, hair, and nails done yet is elbow deep in duck crap? Whats wrong with her?
5. Those clothes are for going out in, where are her overalls?
6. Why? Just why?

My neighbors are great, and love my ducks but I could totally imagine them thinking that if they looked out their windows lol. The entire time I cleaned out the ducks I also thought to myself, "Never again. Never Again! OMG I officially hate HAY! What was I thinking when I got into raising ducks? Aw, I sure do love my stinky ducks." I'm sure I will be saying that every March from now on lol. I never realized how much I missed hosing their house out until I was excited to hook up that hose today. Only duck [or poultry] owners would truly understand this all. I feel so much better that its over with. I actually thought it was going to take a few days and be much harder than it already was. It's hard to believe its already done, and I survived my first harsh Winter with my Ducks! Yipppee!!

thumbsup.gif
It's always nice to get them scrubbed out.
smile.png

I have a broody Scovie sitting on 12 egg sooo I'm waiting to really hose out the shed duck house. I did get the unused duck brooder house cleaned today on the chance one of my girls would like to nest in there this spring. I've been doing partial cleans on the shed throughout the winter and did a 3/4 job just before Chole decided to "sit". Whew!!!!

Bags of litter and poop!!! Don't throw that away.. compost it and grow something in it.. that's great food for flowers and veggies.. I have a nice huge pile of compost that I put all my poops and litter in.

Quote:
I cant I would stink out all the neighbors! lol. I know people use it to grow things but I cant imagine it smelling good. I would be more than happy to give it away to farmers who need it! lol

Ha! Well none of us need it--we have PLENTY! Seriously though, if you do some research about composting you should be able to do it just fine with little or no smell. THe finished product is SO worth it! I could not imagine gardening without my compost. It turns back to topsoil after a while and I even use it in my houseplants. Look into it! Terri O

1. She must really love those ducks to go through all that trouble
2. She must be nuts to go through all that work for just ducks!
3. She does NOT look like the type to be doing dirty work
4. She has her makeup, hair, and nails done yet is elbow deep in duck crap? Whats wrong with her?

OMG I can so Relate lol rotfl only my boots are Lime Green ...
cool.png

I cleaned outthe aviary today and broke through all the ice in their pond. Let's just say the pond water after being frozen for a few months did not smell the best. But I'm so glad I could get them some swimming water and so are the ducks. Now let the breeding season begin!

Looks like a lot of us took advantage of the warmer weekend to do this-- we did, too, and it was GROSS! Did the duck house, the chicken house, and the duck pond-- the muck and sludge were incredible, but boy it feels good to have it done.

I can GUARANTEE, though, that you looked a lot cuter mucking your duck house with your hair and nails done than I did with mine! Heck, I probably looked like I slept in the duck house all winter. . .

Back
Top Bottom