"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh my goodness..he was pretty much ok with it. We have an area that we can keep the chickens out so we could have a swimming pool for them filled up off and on. [​IMG] If, I were to get ducks, I would want the muscovy, the one that isn't loud. But, I don't like that big orange thing on their faces, but discovered that some don't have that..and I found this color..do you call it chocolate in duck color?! Love this brown one!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Man, if I get a couple, I would have some learning to do. What kind of nest boxes..because I would have girls..hmmm.. they don't crow!!!!!!!!!!
    I could have a boy, and a girl..and hatch some cute babies!!!!!
    Only the boys have that big orange, right?

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    AHHHHH I MUST HAVE THAT CUTE FACE!!! :love Look how round and squooshie it is!!! :love Sorry- ALLS MINES! :plbb

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I don't know anything about Muscovy other than they are supposed to taste good.

6. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    [​IMG] I feel you. I killed my pre Ehal hatch of Orust, Twentse and Neiderrheiners. But my Ehal is popping A&M quail now because I learned and changed some things.

7. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    I looked for an older incubator and couldn't find the one I wanted. I collect vintage sewing machines so I thought an older one would be right at home here. I settled on the Brinsea 20 Adv. Basically, I feel like that commercial from the 90's "Just Set It and Forget It!".

We started with 18 farmers market eggs, 6 are fertile, and 12 Microfarm eggs, all appear fertile. I candled an egg tonight for my kids, they missed it last night, to see the eye and the chick move inside the shell and my 6 yo son was blown away. The Microfarm eggs are mixes of Barred Rock, Welsummers, Easter Egger and Australorp with a Barred Rock roo. It has been fairly uneventful the first 13 days except for 2 eggs kinda exploding during our egtopsy. We barely tapped them and they just cracked right open everywhere. Thank god they didn't smell and weren't disgustingly oozy. I am excited to say the least but they are all adopted to other homes.
    I am incubating Ancona duck eggs next. FINALLY! I bought the incubator for the duck eggs. [​IMG] When will these chicks hatch and MOVE ALONG already. I mean.... all these pics of these cute Ancona ducks that it seems everyone is hatching on this thread. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

I am just starting beekeeping; picked up our first Nuc tonight I was told there are approx 10,000 bees in that box! They were calm today when I opened their box. I actually transfer the Nuc frames into the hive boxes in the morning. Bees are either LOVE IT or HATE IT. There has been no indifference in the responses I get when I tell people we are beekeeping.

8. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    Congrats!!! I don't know what the official color is but i LOVE that chocolate duck. Good pick for sure!

9. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015

Golden Neck D'uccle is kinda like a Mille Fleur pattern w/o the black, and they are a little lighter on the carmel/gold coloring. @TJChickens can you post a pic or two for Sally?

Also, Silkies I got were paint and black/paint splits. Ordered 12, got 14....

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Mike! No tasting! Ya hear? [​IMG] Oh man, that's the first time I've had to slap someone in a long time. See what ya made me do?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by