"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Looks great!! What are the babies?

thank you! they are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
ya.gif

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to start filling my incubator tomorrow night, but I have some questions that maybe you experienced hatchers can help with. So, I know that it is recommended to get the incubator good and steady for 48 hours prior to adding eggs, but how steady are we talking? I have a round metal bator with a wafer thermostat (new wafer added this month) and a computer fan added and my temps are ranging 99.3-100.8, but mostly 99.9. Is this good? I need to not tweak with it, right? When it gets to 100.8 I get nervous!
Thanks!
YAYYY!!!! WElcome!!! your fine! as long as you CALIBRATED the thermometers and hygros and spot checked the bator all around, and know that you should move/rotate eggs around in the bator at least candle days ??? @lizzy14 for your peace of mind, I run my bators all at a calibrated 100.5-100.8 winks oh did you see the contests on the First page of this thread?
THERMOMETERS, HYGROMETERS & CALIBRATION

Celsius to Fahrenheit (ºC to ºF) conversion calculator click HERE
Thermo/hygro suggestions post #13998
Brinsea Incubator Thermometers click HERE
Strombergs Thermometers click HERE Hygrometers click HERE Digital Thermo/Hygros click Here
Hova-Bator GQF Incubator Thermometer / Hygrometer (Wet Bulb) 3018 post #32892
HEAT SINKS/ Stones/Pebbles ADD THEM TO STYRO! post #43903
Calibration is a MUST: HOW TO CALIBRATE post #9068

This looks like lots of fun! I never heard of a Hatch-a-Long before. I have two incubators full. 11 due to hatch next weekend, and a bunch more in about 2-3 weeks. Hatching silkies and rocks on Saturday. Trying to hatch some Ameraucanas in the next hatch, but the 2 hens are hiding from the rooster, so haven't had any fertile ones yet. They are afraid of the other hens. The 2nd hatch will also have some silkies, some rocks, and some extra eggs that are a barnyard mix (mostly Easter eggers.) I'm also hatching a bunch out with my first-graders! I just have to share the excitement! How fun!
WELCOME!!! How exciting with the first graders!!! they are going to love candling and seeing hatch!!! doyou do that often? So glad your with us to chat and hatch along with us!! did you see the contests on the First page of this thread?

To all of the newcomers! Looking forward to photos! A few are going to be hatching soon.

I had a friend message me and ask, do you have room in your bator for 12 eggs? I say sure. He comes by, with Blue Orpington, Jubilee Orpinton, Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder, and another that stats with a B..can't remember. Oh man, I hope I don't mess this up!

OHHHHH how exciting Cynthia!!!!

Quote: awesome!!!! weird crosses? interesting!!!! I wish you luck with them!!!!

Hi all!
frow.gif
I'll be testing my luck and setting more legbar eggs next weekend. Wish me the same luck as last time!
fl.gif
Welcome @melnjerm ohhhhh I hope you do very well!!!!
wee.gif

Quote: awwww yes the poor lil yellow

Quote:
Ha..I was wrong!
lau.gif

I happen to live in a area were lots of woodworking, turning, furniture making, and all kinds of other woodworking ventures, this is my hardware and lumber yard:

http://www.keimlumber.com

Oh, but mostly I cheated, Sally had told me the wood choices, so recognizing the markings of the corn cob was easy!
lau.gif

@Pensmaster
oopsies

@mlm Mike

Looks like I have 15 out of 38 set. 39% not as good as I'd hope but I've had much worse.

5 of these

And 10 of these varying from light to dark

Here's their new home for now

Sorry Mike wrong spot for posting
CONGRATS on what you have gotten!!
Hi everyone! I'm jumping in here after finishing my Easter hatch from the EHAL thread! How's everybody doing?!?!

I have eggs set to hatch every Sunday in April!! 4/3, 4/10, 4/17 etc.

My 1st hatch of the season (in a new incubator at that) went okay - 50% hatched. I would like to get around 80%! I'm making little tweaks to my settings to see how I can improve.

some of the babies from today!

and their home:

awwwwww how pretty!!!
How pretty a set up too!!! spoiled chickies!!! love it!!

You have to get them with a mug for a shot for the contest!!! such pretty chicks!!

Quote: LOVEEEEEEEE CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks @Sally Sunshine. We did calibrate this thermometer/hygrometer when it was purchased last year. How often should it be done?
Thats a good question! I do mine after storage, but if I am running for months I dont check them! I guess I should too!!!
hide.gif
I bought a spot check and its off by over two degrees and that screwed me up one time, as I thought they were trustworthy!! now I know to do the ice test!

@mlm Mike

Looks like I have 15 out of 38 set. 39% not as good as I'd hope but I've had much worse.

5 of these

And 10 of these varying from light to dark

Here's their new home for now

Sorry Mike wrong spot for posting
Thank You!
thumbsup.gif
Cute chicks.

Quote: Wonderful!

Hi everyone! I'm jumping in here after finishing my Easter hatch from the EHAL thread! How's everybody doing?!?!

I have eggs set to hatch every Sunday in April!! 4/3, 4/10, 4/17 etc.

My 1st hatch of the season (in a new incubator at that) went okay - 50% hatched. I would like to get around 80%! I'm making little tweaks to my settings to see how I can improve.

some of the babies from today!

and their home:
Welcome! Nice brooder, cute chicks.

Back
Top Bottom