"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    thank you!!!! I am beyond excited hehe [​IMG] I submitted a photo to the cute baby chicks contest but I need to bust out my coffee mug! Maybe tomorrow? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you much! [​IMG]

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    yeahh! I love broody hens! [​IMG]

looking good! I can't wait until my son is old enough to share hatching and incubating with him [​IMG]

oh no [​IMG] do you have any NutriDrench poultry vitamins you can give it? in an emergency I give it straight (undiluted) just lightly dip the tip of the beak in (I put some in a bottle cap) and let them drink it back or you can help by raising their head/body so it rolls back and the chick will swallow. best of luck [​IMG]

3. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    My,broody hatched this little bantam this morning for Easter. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm thinking it's more like a brain issue. The eggs didn't get the right temps in the beginning then the humidity got all crazy. When it hatched it bled a little. They dont' have much blood to begin with. maybe it's a problem from not breathing very good because of the fluid in it's lungs. I don't have any nutridrench. I really need to get some though.

5. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Well, obviously I can't believe a word my husband says. He assured me all 13 of our shipped eggs were developing, but then when we candled tonight there were 5 clears! Oh well, some of them were porous so it was hard to see on Day 7 if they were developing or not, Oh well, down to 8 eggs now, fingers crossed that they will hatch! 11 more days to go!

6. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Man, all weekend has been going non stop.... I am beat!

Yesterday we finished putting tarps up on the hoop coop for the ducks and geese. Then mid morning I got everything ready and processed 2 of my older boys. One wound up skinned because my portable burner didn't hold the liquid at heat for scalding. [​IMG]
    And then my husband was nice enough to take me out for a nice dinner and some drinks to relax after getting everything washed and cleaned up.

Then today was the running around to purchase another poop board for the coop, some brackets for a shelf for the solar panel equipment for the coop, letting the ducklings and goslings take a bath, then they went outside in their coop for the afternoon while I cleaned out the brooder. [​IMG] It's amazing how much they poo and how quickly a clean brooder isn't clean anymore... Can't wait for them to feather out more so they can go outside 24/7!

Oh and I also made an Easter ham and cleaned it up as well lol!

10 days until the GN D'Uccles hatch, 14 for my silkies, 17 for the Mille Fleur D'Uccles I picked up as well...

I am going to hit the hay now...

7. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    I want in on this HAL[​IMG]
    I have one banty-of-some-kind egg given to me by my uncle to hatch for him, I'm not sure what it is...maybe I should surprise him with a couple of serama!

2 people like this.
  8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I just hatched some Jersey Giant CH..for a friend. Those babies are big. :) From nice big eggs. At least these were.

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    He says that I can keep what I want. Not really into Orpington's as egg layers, and I know they go broody. But oh boy, I didn't mention that there is one..only one..Golden Laced Orpington in there! Look them up! I just may want to keep it, or a blue, or a Jubilee. Eenie, meenie, miney, moe. [​IMG] I guess I can try have my regular broody area clear of juveniles for a future broody big girl. I really think some of these are English O's. Some of those eggs are huge..the blues especially. I've had a buff Orpington, the eggs weren't that big. The Golden Laced isn't real big.

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Aww, congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by