"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Four are merlerault and one is from my polish! I doubt it's fertile, but fun to try. :D I've got four new breeds in there that I've never had before: bielefelder, niederrheiner, merlerault, and isbar. Everything else is from my back yard.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    To replace the broken ones!

3. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

Can't find original post but my sides are hurting....eyes watering
    Funniest thing I have read in a long time.

4. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

Cronic candler......this is first I'm hearing of this but so true.

5. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    It is the banding. I watched an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe learned how to castrate lambs by cutting the sack open and pulling the testes out. The woman showed him how the banding actually hurt more by banding one and cutting another. After watching that last year I decided that I would cut this year instead of banding like I had for 15 years. My first lamb was male and I made the cuts and pulled it out. And inside of 30 minutes you wouldn't know. Your wether will by fine by day three though.

6. Harborotter

Harborotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Washington State
    I had a postal worker swear she heard chirping in a box of eggs I had shipped to me so she started stabbing the box with a knife. I tried explaining that these were hatching eggs and not chicks. She shut the door in my face while I was explaining it was impossible for my hatching eggs to hatch during shipment and had to go home with a gooey, leaky box. Luckily I had her voicemail admitting to what she did. I did get reimbursed by USPS.

I have had a box get completely smashed like that. Araucana eggs that I paid over $100 for. I got $50 back and one egg hatched.

It amazes me how some people treat hatching eggs in transit.

7. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    I don't want to ask and it happen again.they went out the way.took there time and money to send them to me.I'm happy with the ones that did make it in tack

2 people like this.
  8. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Thanks Penny Hen! These are my first goats and I let them get a little too old for cutting. They're probably too old for banding, but it was closer. I read a lot beforehand and watched videos, but I had to go out of my way to find info on soreness today. Poor little things. I picked lots of yummy branches for them.

STABBING!!! :eek: :th

9. Harborotter

Harborotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Washington State
    Yeah, she stabbed quite a few Cream Legbar eggs for me. Definitely ruined my day. Took a pocket knife and went to town on the box all over. I am still amazed somebody like her is employed. Chirping? Really?

10. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    I had one chicken hatch from the 3 I sat for Easter. I gave it to my Bantam Hen, Wynona, but it has impressed on me. If I am in the room it will stand on her shoulders and scream until I pick it up and tuck it under my neck! Then it just becomes conversational. But how can I get anything done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by