"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

• I am completely overwhelmed by breed choices... What I really want is calls, but I don't have the setup or the $$ for them so I have to pick something else. If I wanted to hatch I most likely would have to go with black swedish x pekin, but I wanna know what all is out there. So.... Breed reccomendations? I am looking for something friendly, easy to find, colorful, and a decent layer.
  • What to feed? Is an all-flock feed good enough? Do they need supplements? Why can't they eat chicken food?
  • Anything way different from chickens in the hatching department? Do they all take 28 days to hatch, except Muscovy? Temp is the same? Does the fact the shells are different significantly impact humidity? What is a good starting percentage? Do ducks have more problems with hatching than chickens? Anything else I should know but haven't thought to ask yet? (I am sure I'll think of more, lol)
Thanks....
-Banti
Meyers has a good breed comparison chart. I went with Anconas because they lay good and taste good. The two things I wanted in a duck. I'm currently feeding an all flock type feed. Purina seems to think they can have it until they start laying than switch to layer. I'm giving niacin as a supplement in tbere water. Humidity will very from person to person and will probably be different everyday of the week. I'm currently running my Ancona eggs at 100* & 50-55% on the recomendation of somebody who hatches them a lot. No clue if its the way to go but its the way I'm going. Ducks will take there sweet time about hatching. I think Bacon took 60+ hrs and Eggs took 40+.

I still suggest getting what you want right off the bat!!!!  calls it dont matter how many ducks you incubated, they are a ball game all their own....  lol boy I messed that saying up!!!

:lol:
True, very true.

Dunno, I gotta think about it..... Maybe I'll just get 1 of each breed and save myself the agony! :p

Meyers has a good breed comparison chart. I went with Anconas because they lay good and taste good. The two things I wanted in a duck. I'm currently feeding an all flock type feed. Purina seems to think they can have it until they start laying than switch to layer. I'm giving niacin as a supplement in tbere water. Humidity will very from person to person and will probably be different everyday of the week. I'm currently running my Ancona eggs at 100* & 50-55% on the recomendation of somebody who hatches them a lot. No clue if its the way to go but its the way I'm going. Ducks will take there sweet time about hatching. I think Bacon took 60+ hrs and Eggs took 40+.

Thanks!

Love the duck pic in the bathtub! Cute!

Well, I tried to put my 114 eggs in lockdown and they wouldn't fit. So, I have some silkie and honas that don't have a hatching spot and are still in the turners. I had better development than I predicted.

I have calls and muscavoys and some misc cool chicks up in the turners. How much damage would I do if I didn't turn them for 2 days?

Quote:
Hmm, well if you insist!
Here's the deal..... I will hatch 'lings (and resist the siren song of TSC ....) If yall will help answer my dumb duck newbie questions without laughing.
lol.png

I also need a place to keep these ducks first! (Unlike what @MotorcycleChick says, no, I will not keep them in my bathtub.
tongue.png
)
-Banti
I do insist!
I have not hatched eggies but you have many experts here
big_smile.png

So no to the bathtub...how about your sink? I mean, as long as you unplug the garbage disposal...safety first!
thumbsup.gif

Why? Use a towel for bedding, and take them out when you shower.

SM do you have a pattern for duck diapers by chance?
I don't use patterns because I made them from bras, but if you want me to email you the instructions I can!
big_smile.png
(I don't sew very fancy so it was easier for me to use bras.
roll.png
)

• I am completely overwhelmed by breed choices... What I really want is calls, but I don't have the setup or the $$ for them so I have to pick something else. If I wanted to hatch I most likely would have to go with black swedish x pekin, but I wanna know what all is out there. So.... Breed reccomendations? I am looking for something friendly, easy to find, colorful, and a decent layer.
  • What to feed? Is an all-flock feed good enough? Do they need supplements? Why can't they eat chicken food?
  • Anything way different from chickens in the hatching department? Do they all take 28 days to hatch, except Muscovy? Temp is the same? Does the fact the shells are different significantly impact humidity? What is a good starting percentage? Do ducks have more problems with hatching than chickens? Anything else I should know but haven't thought to ask yet? (I am sure I'll think of more, lol)
Thanks....
-Banti
But...but Calls are so teensie! You should be able to get at least 20 in your bathtub!
wink.png

Pssst...Muscovy are very friendly & easy to find (most people want to get rid of them
lol.png
), colorful!
My 'scovy ate some cracked corn & unmedicated flock crumbles but if you asked Daisy her favorite feed was Goldfish crackers.

Last edited:
Love the duck pic in the bathtub! Cute!

Well, I tried to put my 114 eggs in lockdown and they wouldn't fit. So, I have some silkie and honas that don't have a hatching spot and are still in the turners. I had better development than I predicted.

I have calls and muscavoys and some misc cool chicks up in the turners. How much damage would I do if I didn't turn them for 2 days?  
it's a goosy

Back
Top Bottom