"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

are these air cells looking ok? day 12 ish last night
@Sally Sunshine
so far soo good!!!! keep on trucking!

Quote:me too me too!

Wow so much happening here in the past few days! I hope I can get caught up today
1f600.png

I just set another 11 shipped black/lavender split bantam Cochins last night in the Brinsea...

We ended up with 13 Marans total from my flock. The power outage eggs all hatched and the stuck zipper during the outage is also healthy and doing great
yippiechickie.gif

I got 10 blue coppers, 2 splashes and 1 black!
I caught most of them at snack time :)

I just received 7 self blue bantam Cochins in the mail today from Ideal. (I was curious to know their quality)... And I'm completely freaking out! I knew they sent extras for warmth but holy $&@!
They sent me 16 barred rock packing peanuts!!!!!
1f62e.png
1f62e.png
1f62e.png
1f62e.png
good news on the power outage chicks!!! so cute!!! packing peanuts!!! holy molasses!!!

Quote: usually those are eggs that were accidentally missed and collected and already old, you will smell stink when you open the bator if you have a nose!

eggs arrived today. Tried candling them but either I am blind or there is no air cell
HOW TO CANDLE EGGS post #40826
Are you candling correctly? see link above

@sallysunshine
Are these the size zip ties I wan for new hatches?

10 Colors: Light Blue, Dark Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Neon Yellow, Fuschia, Neon Orange, Gray, Purple
Length: 4"
Width: 0.09"
Tensil strength: 18 lbs.
100 pieces of each color (500 Total)
› See more product details
what Joey says, and chicks grow Mighty fast!!

Quote: good post!!

Thank you Sally Sunshine and Chaos18!

@Sally. I'm using a Brinsea Octagon 20, Its very good and reliable. I'm very excited!
AWESOME!!!! yes I have heard good for on this one!!!

Oh the second egg that pipped has a little head sticking out. First is still working and hear several cheeps. Awwwww
YAY!!!!!

9 have hatched so far
jumpy.gif
come o

3 pips and nothing from 2 eggs. Have quickly moved 7 dry ones to the brooder, left a couple of damp ones in there.
come on babies!!!

The parents are coming for a visit, just in time for a batch of chicks to hatch. I still need about 3 or 4 more pullets for fall/winter laying. I'll be setting as many eggs as possible tomorrow.

how do you keep yourself from opening the bator up the take the one lil chick out? It's heartbreaking listening to it cry. I know don't it will shrinkwrap the others up. but it's in there yelling mommy come back mommy mommy LOL
SIT ON HANDS

Quote: I am always late lol

Quote:
fl.gif

I was showing off my previously mentioned Rockstar-Style-Candling-Flashlight, "I attached a piece of a pool noodle and then wrapped electrical tape around the noddle to make it black and attached that to the end of a flashlight", to my sister-in-law and decided to give her a full demonstration. We are on day 5 with duck eggs so I figured there would be nothing to see.. WELL, we saw veins and the heart beat in the egg I chose. My SIL was blown away and amazed. And I am so excited!!!! I am not candling all of them but it is good to know that one is developing.
Awesome!!!!

Decided to post pics of my call ducklings swimming in the bathtub. Chaos they are NOT snacks, so NO PUTTING BUTTER ON THEM!!!

oh what LOVELY ducks and images!!!!!!!

The parents are coming for a visit, just in time for a batch of chicks to hatch. I still need about 3 or 4 more pullets for fall/winter laying. I'll be setting as many eggs as possible tomorrow.
Thats exciting!!!!! the come from far away?

Well I bought another incubator today, getting it prepped to fill it up once it is stable. Will be putting 5 turkey eggs and the rest chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom