"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

And eventually they end up back where they started from......the dining room
lau.gif
highfive.gif

Don't ya just love the "circle of life"?
gig.gif

Candled my eggs tonight. (Day 9 for all my wellsummer, amurucanas, deleware, olive eggers, and morans and day 6 for my silkies). Looks like 11 of 53 may be clear on the mix and then 11 of 18 silkies look clear.) The silkies are killing me with clears, but it is what it is. Most of the colored eggs were hard o candle. Some I could see veining, but most I determined were not clear bc I could see abnormal "blobs/shadows" in the egg vs mostly clear round yoke.

On another note, my few day old silkies are in the brooder with a heat pad hut. I really hope they are staying warm enough. They spend a lot of time huddled under it, but I have it at full blast and they seem ok. Anyone had issues with heat pad brooders not being warm enough?

I was born and raised in TX, and I've always known what a basement is...   :/  

Around here houses are built on slabs. The occasional pier and beam doesn't have a basement either.
my house here in Texas is on a slab also. The basement actually sits under my garage.
And I have a 2nd pip. Other one is still just sitting there. I can see it moving so know it is still alive.have seen other eggs moving so cross my fingers!

Last edited:
Around here houses are built on slabs. The occasional pier and beam doesn't have a basement either.
I understand. I had never actually seen a basement until I moved to MS...
wink.png

Candled my eggs tonight. (Day 9 for all my wellsummer, amurucanas, deleware, olive eggers, and morans and day 6 for my silkies). Looks like 11 of 53 may be clear on the mix and then 11 of 18 silkies look clear.) The silkies are killing me with clears, but it is what it is. Most of the colored eggs were hard o candle. Some I could see veining, but most I determined were not clear bc I could see abnormal "blobs/shadows" in the egg vs mostly clear round yoke.

On another note, my few day old silkies are in the brooder with a heat pad hut. I really hope they are staying warm enough. They spend a lot of time huddled under it, but I have it at full blast and they seem ok. Anyone had issues with heat pad brooders not being warm enough?
Wow... that's a lot of clears. Sorry to hear that. Having fertility problems, perhaps?

I have a heat pad cave that I use when my chicks get a couple of weeks old, but if it's any consolation, my day olds spend most of their time huddled under the heat plate (Sweeter Heater), too. As long as they're quite and aren't chirping loudly, then they should be nice and toasty.

Hello, #1. Welcome to the world!!! Good luck with the rest!!!
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom