"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

The breeder my husband for his Bielefelder eggs from pronounced them as "Bellyfelders"

Ha, that's how I have been saying it. I think Penny Hen is right..since it's a German word..makes sense.

Actually, I was saying it...bi..lee..felder

Last edited:
They are really little! I didn't notice the difference as much when they were still in the incubator. But they look so tiny in the brooder and they don't weigh anything at all. I should take pictures of them next to something to show size.

Of the 5 remaining serama eggs, 4 are DIS, all malpositioned and some didn't have yolks absorbed. 1 is still moving! I candled from the bottom and thought everything looked absorbed. I carefully cracked the top off and the chick is shrink wrapped and I think it's malpositioned. It still has huge veins though, so I wrapped it up and put it back in the bator. So what to do? We are moving into day 24 all other chicks hatched on day 19 and 20. 1 other hatched on day 21. I want to at least get it's beak out but I don't want to mess with it while the veins are there. Should I just leave it and wait? What is taking this one so long to absorb everything?

Last edited:
OK. I am late to the thread but I have a very persistent White Phoenix broody (sitting for a week now) who just received a breeders choice mix of LF and Bantam Cochin eggs. Do you think she will notice the tail difference? LOL!
1f601.png

Of the 5 remaining serama eggs, 4 are DIS, all malpositioned and some didn't have yolks absorbed. 1 is still moving! I candled from the bottom and thought everything looked absorbed. I carefully cracked the top off and the chick is shrink wrapped and I think it's malpositioned. It still has huge veins though, so I wrapped it up and put it back in the bator. So what to do? We are moving into day 24 all other chicks hatched on day 19 and 20. 1 other hatched on day 21. I want to at least get it's beak out but I don't want to mess with it while the veins are there. Should I just leave it and wait? What is taking this one so long to absorb everything?
Wow! That is late and Seramas are so little. If it were mine, I would go back every few hours and work/check on it. At 24 days, it isn't likely to make it on it's own so h3lping it wouldn't be likely to make it much worse. Just look out for the veins and don't be too optimistic aboutsurvival. Good luck.

Ok guys so 30 chicks out. Well actually 32 left two in the bator cause they were wet. Still have eggs pipped and moving ready to hatch. Just had to get these guys out cause it was crowded. Out of a full egg turner witch I think is 41 or 42 eggs 32 so far and more coming!! I'm happy with that hatch rate!!! :D

Sounds like a great hatch!

Wow! That is late and Seramas are so little. If it were mine, I would go back every few hours and work/check on it. At 24 days, it isn't likely to make it on it's own so h3lping it wouldn't be likely to make it much worse. Just look out for the veins and don't be too optimistic aboutsurvival. Good luck.
Thanks, that big vein over it's head is scary looking! I think the beak is pointed down. Poor thing! It moves when I tap the egg.

I would wait till most of the veins are absorbed which would probably take overnight or so, then help it's head out with a q-tip and let it come out of the rest of the shell when ready. I just make sure they stay moist, wrapped in layers of wet paper towels.

Back
Top Bottom