"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Candled last night and removed a few clears. I was panicked because they didn't look developed enough for day 17-18, then I went back and count led and I was actually at 15-16. I set in the late evening and that always makes things wonky. :rant

Anyway, most looked good! A few iffy eggs that I left anyway, and a few late blood rings. I didn't count. I know I'm down to two merlerault, because two were clear. And my polish mix is cooking right along! :weee

I have 12 random eggs that go into lock down Monday!!... Guess I should wash and bleach the hatcher again!
Good luck! Yes, sounds like you need to clean your hatcher.

10 days left for the chicken eggs.I'm so excited to see what pops out the fun and funky.and also I have tow Silkie eggs one Is white and one is brown
Good Luck Chicken Hawk!

My last little classroom chick hatched tonight. It is a little white silkie. So 8 out of 9 chicks hatched. The best part is that when I went up to school tonight to check on it, the teacher next door was there and I was telling her how I wished I could keep them at school for another week, but that I knew they were probably loud while her class was learning. (We have no back walls in our classrooms) Well, she said, no they aren't loud and that she wouldn't mind at all if I kept them there another week! Yippee!!!! The kids will be absolutely thrilled!

Wonderful! I'm glad you are able to keep them in class another week.

Well, I had my first external pip on day 18, and thanks to the fine folks on this thread, put the eggs into lockdown just in time.
jumpy.gif
Thank you for that.

So, I had 6 babies successfully hatch and a bunch more pipped today.
clap.gif
I'm expecting a bator full when I get up tomorrow morning.
love.gif

Good Night Everyone!!!!

woot.gif

Ok guys so 30 chicks out. Well actually 32 left two in the bator cause they were wet. Still have eggs pipped and moving ready to hatch. Just had to get these guys out cause it was crowded. Out of a full egg turner witch I think is 41 or 42 eggs 32 so far and more coming!! I'm happy with that hatch rate!!!
big_smile.png
Great!

A hen went broody today, so I transferred 10 eggs from the incubator under her.
yesss.gif

I'm hatching 10
Wonderful!

They are really little! I didn't notice the difference as much when they were still in the incubator. But they look so tiny in the brooder and they don't weigh anything at all. I should take pictures of them next to something to show size.

A pic that shows size would be great.

Of the 5 remaining serama eggs, 4 are DIS, all malpositioned and some didn't have yolks absorbed. 1 is still moving! I candled from the bottom and thought everything looked absorbed. I carefully cracked the top off and the chick is shrink wrapped and I think it's malpositioned. It still has huge veins though, so I wrapped it up and put it back in the bator. So what to do? We are moving into day 24 all other chicks hatched on day 19 and 20. 1 other hatched on day 21. I want to at least get it's beak out but I don't want to mess with it while the veins are there. Should I just leave it and wait? What is taking this one so long to absorb everything?

If there are still large views I would wait.

OK. I am late to the thread but I have a very persistent White Phoenix broody (sitting for a week now) who just received a breeders choice mix of LF and Bantam Cochin eggs. Do you think she will notice the tail difference? LOL!
1f601.png
Welcome and good luck!
Chicks should e hatching under hen any day

10 day candle of the 42 in the incubator, have 7 that are questionable but veining out so will recheck next week
fl.gif

I had 19 go into lock down and 19 hatched!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!

tired babies,, will put shavings in tomorrow, or is it too early?
Awesome! Congratulations!

1 week til hatch
big_smile.png
lol.png
I week for me too. Good luck!

I put 7 eggs under my broody and 6 eggs went to a friends incubator on April 9th,and set my very first incubator group of 32 eggs from my own birds on April 14th. All are bantam cochin of various but pure colors :) Blue, Partridge, Blue Mottled, Black Mottled, and Buff Barred. The Blue Mottled/Black Mottled have potential of being Frizzle. I'm beyond excited :)
Good luck!

Chick died
sad.png
I'm not sure why, I didn't disturb any blood veins. It's head was down.
Nothing you could have done.

Well 30 chicks in the brooder. And 5 more still in the bator drying out. Pretty good hatch rate for 41 eggs.
woot.gif

W00T! Right on time!
These are the biggest eggs I've hatched. They're bantys but still...Someday I may hatch a LF! Haha!
Wonderful!

Had 2 hatch last night and another one when I got up this morning!
wee.gif
woot.gif

We have a pip under momma hen!!!!! I just went out and could hear peeping too!

Great News!

Candled last night and removed a few clears. I was panicked because they didn't look developed enough for day 17-18, then I went back and count led and I was actually at 15-16. I set in the late evening and that always makes things wonky.
rant.gif

Anyway, most looked good! A few iffy eggs that I left anyway, and a few late blood rings. I didn't count. I know I'm down to two merlerault, because two were clear. And my polish mix is cooking right along!
wee.gif
I'm glad most looked good!

Update. I candled the egg last night and the embryo is pretty big, I'm not sure that I have twins but it doesn't look like it. Must just have been my imagination, it has some pretty big veins, maybe since it's a lot bigger it will hatch early?

Last edited:
Ha, that's how I have been saying it. I think Penny Hen is right..since it's a German word..makes sense.

Actually, I was saying it...bi..lee..felder

The Germans pronounce "ie" and "ei" exactly opposite of how we do in English. Doesn't bother me in speaking it but as a dyslexic it would make me crazy getting the spellings right.

I couldn't resist, I went out and checked on the hens again just in case someone had decided to zip already. No zipping, but two more eggs have pipped!! :weee That leaves only one of the calico eggs without signs of hatching soon, and at this rate everyone might be pipped by this evening! SO EXCITED!! :jumpy

This morning when I went out three of the shipped eggs had hatched!! :yesss: The one under Lena, and two under the Buff Orpington. The Orpington also has two pipped eggs!

This is one of the Orpington's chicks! She is so cute!

This is the Orpington's other chick. She is so much darker than her siblings, I am guessing she is a Calico and the others are Mille Fleurs?

Lena's newest baby! She is also very pale colored.

Back
Top Bottom