"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

stupid autocorrect
LOL, i hate auto correct

Day 21 starts at 1:30pm and I have no pips in my 2 eggs in lockdown.

Patience is a virtue...just not one I possess.
I don't think many of us here on BYC have that one

Set 8 eggs 20 days ago. I died around day 3 of incubation, 1 I dropped while candling on day 7. :p 6 made it into lockdown, and as of this moment 3 are pipped. These are eggs from my flock, all mixed breeds, and I'm hatching them out to give to a friend.
PIP PIP HOORAY!!

Well, just figured out my new 4 stall coop is not going to be large enough. I need 6 new coop stalls. I was planning on expanding it next summer but may have to figure out something else. So many chickies, so few coops.

If you candle an egg after day 18 will the chick die

Do you "need" to candle it, or are you just bored? Of there's a ligitament reason I can't give advice. But I'm just popping in to say(if any one follows) the two who got heat over exposure made it thru the night!
I'm still having to force feed and water every hour. They can stand on their own now for short bits. Racing to get sav a chick. Used gateraid cause was in a pinch.
Update later...

You're killing me (in a good way) with these videos!
pop.gif

So excited about messy ducks getting here. Now, if they just hatch. Everything seems to be a little off with this hatch. I am sure we all feel this way at times.

So sorry about your lose.
hugs.gif
A break might be just what is needed. Also, sorry about the flood. That is a mess and one you likely just didn't need.
barnie.gif
hu.gif
hit.gif
(the "story" of emotions like there in emoticons)

CONGRATS on the pale pink egg.
woot.gif
SO JEALOUS! What a beauty that must be. My kids want to be get some pink layers for them. I have no idea how to go about that but I will try.

Like I tell my kids "Because I said so. It doesn't have to make sense." Good LUCK!

Thanks. I went out and planted my chicken garden yesterday. Two runner beans to grow up over the coop to shade it from the summer heat and cabbage. Both the cabbage and the runner beans come from Baker's Creek and are non-GMO. The runner beans are special. They are Barnside Sweet Runner:

"80 days Scarlet-flowered runner bean routinely reaches 25 feet in height! Transform unsightly buildings, including barns, into a wall of hummingbird-attracting flowers. Pods can grow to 10-12 inches. Very sweet and tender when eaten at the immature stage, a great variety for freezing for winter use as green beans. For over 30 years Roger L. Smith of Norton Creek Farm, in Northern California has been selecting for height and aphid resistance."

My two coops and runs form an H and I closed off one of the spaces and planted the garden there. Being on the north side of the coop I am hoping that the runner beans will bear longer into the heat because their roots will be cooler. Runners like the cooler weather. The rest of the runners are going along side my house and porch to block the summer heat and hopefully cut our electricity bill in August.

Digging in the dirt is a good therapy for loss. I read recently that scientist have actually found that the good microbes that form in the soil have a calming effect on people through the contact of the skin (mostly hands though I suppose you could just roll in the dirt to get a big dose
lau.gif
).

I believe I had mentioned taking care of a chicken with it's hip joint out. In the search to find out the best treatment I found a couple of sites that I have not seen posted here yet so I am going to add their links here. The first is Poultry Pedia and they cover lots of subjects not just leg problems. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

The second one is Veterinary Center for Birds and Exotics. They give a detailed explanation of the problem of a hip out of joint in a bird and how it is fixed. http://www.avianexoticsvet.com/case-of-the-month.html

Oh and the pale pink egg. This girl is a Silver Penciled Bantam Wyandotte from Donna Rippy. She currently has plenty of them for sale and she ships. I can't promise that they all lay pink but the gene/s are there and they are sweet gentle beautiful bantams. My pair are so polite that my lame girl wants to hang with them instead of being isolated. She jumped out of my arms to be with them.

Last edited:
so Far so good, lock down has started and had some minor fluctuation when turned off the turner but don't think half a degree will bother them

pulled 4 of the questionaboles, have several that seem to be behind the majority, any ideas on that?

Last edited:
Ok people, had two golden laced Wyandotte and one CCL hatch, and one died (probably one glw who pipped in middle of shell) identify breed?
think the one on the right is a glw but haven't had that breed before. What's the one on left? Here it is again next to my CCL girl

What are these? Feed store had 3 cages, the top ones had the yellow/cream and the bottom ones didnt. Also there were like 2 black ones in the third cage on the way bottom. Didn't get picks, so dark. But didn't look like barred rock or Australorp? I thought these were all EEs but then the middle cage some are brown and some look silver/grey? So I'm wondering if they are Wyandottes? They were supposed to get SLW and GLW in bit I forget when. They weren't labeled or else I wouldn't be asking. Forgot to ask an employee but oh well. This is Morrisons, a local store under Agway, not a TSC or anything. But yeah. Thoughts?

I noticed a lot of people in here are saying they use starter/grower constantly. Although this won't harm your chickens, if it has amprolium or any other anti coccidiosis in it, there can be serious delayed health effect for hatched eggs or anything that eats the eggs. If you talk to the manufactures they will advise not to use the meat or eggs for 3 weeks after feeding.
The warning not on the bag as they assume you only feed to babies.
The duck feed however is fine.

OK, now i really did it... Went to the Poultry Show in Greenville, Ohio and there were some really pretty geese there.. ended up buying five eggs, two Laienden Ice, two Buff African Dewlopp and one Brown African.... I have no idea what to do now. am bringing them up to room temperature and will be looking up incubating instructions while I watch the rest of the chickens hatch and hope they hurry up so I can put the geese eggs in.. So glad I have this site to find out what to do....Have a total of 15 chickens hatched out of the 24 that I set and more pips on the way....How did this happen...now I really understand why some people say this is an addiction..

Back
Top Bottom