"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Woke up this morning to the sound of tiny cheeps and one visible pip. Eggscited and very nervous. My last hatch went to this point and then total failure. Fingers crossed. T and Humidity holding steady.

Woke up this morning to the sound of tiny cheeps and one visible pip. Eggscited and very nervous. My last hatch went to this point and then total failure. Fingers crossed. T and Humidity holding steady.
fl.gif
Good luck with your hatch

Good luck!!
fl.gif

Thanks to this hatch a long more of my chicks will be surviving. I never realized that chicks can take up to 24 hours to unzip after pipping. I thought they were having trouble, and panicked a couple of times after the 12 hour mark, trying to help them too early because I thought I goofed up the humidity. I always had 90 to 100 percent hatches, and they recently dipped a bit because of that. Being patient helped me to have a wonderful hatch. I really appreciate it! These messages are all so informative! The humidity is important, but having patience is even more important!

Here is my brooder. It is 4' x 32" and we made it out of scrap wood and hardware cloth and threw on a pneumatic screen door hinge for the heavy lid. The bottom is lined with vinyl and covered in pine shavings. We just used an old lamp arm to suspend the heat lamp over one side of the lid and they chicks seem okay with that so far. There are only four chicks in there now, and I will add a divider for whatever hatchlings we end up with (fingers crossed). The Farm Innovations incubator is the one I have on order, I hope it gets here soon!

NICE JOB. Yeah, I'm a little jealous. Good skills.

Back
Top Bottom