"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Well, lots of drama this hatch. Right now I have 6 hatched. One of the chicks zipped halfway & then got shrink-wrapped, and the two earliest-hatched chicks were pecking at it & drawing blood, so I was worried they would kill it.

So I ended up taking out the two oldest chicks & putting them in the brooder. Then I took the shrink-wrapped chick out & did an assisted hatch. I never did that before but after reading the information on here I decided to give it a try. I took it in the bathroom with the hot shower running, kept dripping water on the membranes with a cotton ball, & peeled the shell away from the membrane on about 3/4 of the egg. He kicked himself free after that but I didn't want to interfere too much so I left the bottom of the egg shell sticking to his butt & put him back in the incubator. I will try and get the rest of the shell off tomorrow when I put him in the brooder. I was really worried about opening the bator while eggs were pipping but I put some wet paper towels in & one hatched after that, so I guess it was ok.

Most of the chicks seem to have omphalitis, maybe that's why the zipper got stuck. Tomorrow I am going to put them all in the brooder & wash their butts & put some antibacterial ointment on. They all seem to be pretty active, except for "Egg-butt," so hopefully that's a good sign that they might pull through.

If you have a bright enough light than doing it that way might be possible. Most people don't use a bright enough light in the first place though.

My candler is useless on my brown eggs. I'm using a 200 lumen surefire lumamax on high setting. Still not bright enough to candle from the pointy end.

Well, lots of drama this hatch. Right now I have 6 hatched. One of the chicks zipped halfway & then got shrink-wrapped, and the two earliest-hatched chicks were pecking at it & drawing blood, so I was worried they would kill it.
The newly hatched are vicious. My first hatched about 1:30 yesterday and I had to remove it at 8 last night. It kept stomping on the second ones head. The second was only two hours old. I was scared that I had shrink-wrapped everyone else in there. So far I still have chirping so hopefully more will come out soon.

Hi
I set 14 shipped eggs on March 26. Does that mean I can be part of this thread? These eggs should hatch end of next week I guess? This is my first ever hatch. Also my first ever incubator. I'm kind of terrified.
Welcome to the thread and incubating. What kind of eggs did you set?

Think my hatch is done, the 3 pipped eggs hatched in the night
jumpy.gif
The remaining 2 are showing no signs but I will candle when I move these hatched ones to the brooder. So as of now 12/14 have hatched that made it to lockdown.

Congrats on the great hatch.

Just set 13 Black Penedesenca eggs on Thursday, April 7th.
smile.png
woot.gif
Welcome

My candler is useless on my brown eggs. I'm using a 200 lumen surefire lumamax on high setting. Still not bright enough to candle from the pointy end.
Really? I use a 210 Lumen LED headlamp I bought from walmart for about $20 and it works great on them. I taped a 5" (or so) piece of styrofoam pipe insulation to it so the eggs have something soft thats rests on them and it works like a charm. Was even able to detect veining in a Marans egg with it.

Welcome to the thread and incubating. What kind of eggs did you set?

Congrats on the great hatch.

:woot Welcome

Really? I use a 210 Lumen LED headlamp I bought from walmart for about $20 and it works great on them. I taped a 5" (or so) piece of styrofoam pipe insulation to it so the eggs have something soft thats rests on them and it works like a charm. Was even able to detect veining in a Marans egg with it.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom