"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Quote: some of this sounds normal, but I do see your point, sometimes there is that ONE that just is a btch

Yesterdays hatch-

4 isabelle leghorns, 5 Silverudd Blue's, 2 Dark Brown Leghorns

OMYYYYYYYYY goodnesssssss

Quote: I love it!! I would do my best to make it so you dont have to physycally go into it to collect eggs and change out feed waterers. You know how many times you go there and how nasty the floor can get with poo! I always like outside access and even from an area where chickens are not allowed! that makes for clean shoes, less of a bio hazard too!

this is an example of what I mean
I can do all waterers/feeders and open windows and run door, etc from a CLEAN chicken free side of the coop so we dont have to step into any crud or mudd at anytime

LL

Pallet COOP ~

Saloon COOP

And even when we did our shed conversion we made it poop free
LL

used the left main door as the front pen door too! just latches closed on the2x3 center wall

Last edited:
I went back to TSC to look at those mottled Java chicks. I took my husband because I also wanted a persimmon tree and it is too big for me to wrangle in the car.

They have a 6 chick minimum. I don't need 6 , I only want two. They were selling their older bantam for 2.00. They were cute very feather footed but the one I held was throwing up water. More than once. Has anyone seen this. I decided not to buy because I was scared of bringing home something.

Did it just over drink? It looked like clear water.

I've had chicks throw up water and I've thought it might be due to over stimulation or nerves - the condition usually coincided with me moving them.

some of this sounds normal, but I do see your point, sometimes there is that ONE that just is a btch OMYYYYYYYYY goodnesssssss I love it!! I would do my best to make it so you dont have to physycally go into it to collect eggs and change out feed waterers. You know how many times you go there and how nasty the floor can get with poo! I always like outside access and even from an area where chickens are not allowed! that makes for clean shoes, less of a bio hazard too! this is an example of what I mean I can do all waterers/feeders and open windows and run door, etc from a CLEAN chicken free side of the coop so we dont have to step into any crud or mudd at anytime
LL
Pallet COOP ~ Saloon COOP And even when we did our shed conversion we made it poop free
LL
used the left main door as the front pen door too! just latches closed on the2x3 center wall
Curious which parts sound normal? Not disagreeing, but rather that I have never had chickens before so would like to learn for the future :) And wow, I love your coops!!! They are so cute!! :) I think we will definitely make the nest boxes accessible from the outside as well as the pop door. I'm getting sick of stepping in chicken poop to collect eggs lol Although, were going to be trying deep litter in the coop so will hopefully be cleaner. But we might just put the whole coop outside and attach the run to the front

Thanks, I'm wondering if the vent feathers would grow back by mid August Fair if I trim them now..

Pretty sure they should be back in by then..that's a ways off. Of course, it's according to how much you trim..don't make it's bum naked.
big_smile.png

Pretty sure they should be back in by then..that's a ways off. Of course, it's according to how much you trim..don't make it's bum naked.
big_smile.png
barnie.gif
Poor chicken!!!! LOL!!!!
hide.gif

My first-graders' favorite joke is "Guess what?... Chicken Butt!!!!" Inappropriate of course!

Yesterdays hatch-

4 isabelle leghorns, 5 Silverudd Blue's, 2 Dark Brown Leghorns

Cute little ones!

Quote: Hope you share pics of your build or at least when you are done.

These are a couple of my new Queen Silvia chicks from GFF auction. They technically hatched in April, but I didn't hatch them. The same chick can look dark or light depending on which way the light hits them. Very different little chicks.

Interesting, never heard of that breed.

Back
Top Bottom