"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

yippiechickie.gif
Congratulations! So how many are left? What breeds are they?
smile.png

Barnyard mix. 35 total. Don't know how many will actually hatch at this point.

RIR papas and either RIR or black sex link mamas.

I have 41 eggs (mixed variety breeds-Easter Eggers, barred rock, Rhode Island, golden laced Wyandotte etc) in my genesis 1588 incubator at 15 days! I set 44 and have thrown out 1clear and 2 quitters. I'm doing it at school for my kindergarteners!- they're very excited! It's so much fun to candle them and show them the chick "swimming" around! They're just amazed! My chicks are due the 19th. They usually hatch a day or so early though.
Welcome! I love school hatches, I bet the children will be thrilled!

I have 41 eggs (mixed variety breeds-Easter Eggers, barred rock, Rhode Island, golden laced Wyandotte etc) in my genesis 1588 incubator at 15 days! I set 44 and have thrown out 1clear and 2 quitters. I'm doing it at school for my kindergarteners!- they're very excited! It's so much fun to candle them and show them the chick "swimming" around! They're just amazed! My chicks are due the 19th. They usually hatch a day or so early though.

My (almost) 7 year old grandson has been "helping" me since we first set the eggs. Your kindergartners are going to LOVE it. He's learned about clears and quitters. He and his sister slept over last night and couldn't wait to get up and see if there were any new hatchlings this AM. Children and chicks just seem to go together, don't they?
gig.gif

Well I candled all 7 of my eggs this morning, all are forming except for one.
celebrate.gif
Super excited! I love my incubator it has great hatch rates, and usually all of my eggs that form will hatch.

Congratulations! What kind of incubator do you have?
Woohoo!!!!! I am a teacher too, and we had our first pips today!!!!! So exciting! It is wonderful to watch chicks hatch, but it is completely magical to watch little kids watch chicks hatch!!!!! Have fun and good luck!

School hatches make for the absolute best days of my teaching career!!!!!!! :)

Sounds awesome! I too love school hatches. I remember in first grade we hatched out chicks. They did it every year, not sure if they still do or not though. Ours were always just the yellow ones, don't know what breed lol and they always had parents come on hatch day and my parents and maybe brothers came and mine pooped on my hand lol the farm took them back afterwards

I don't have eggs yet. I will look through my things to see if there is anything cool to donate.
What eggs are you getting? @wingedshade We welcome your donations! Thank you so much!!

Quote:
highfive.gif
yesss.gif

Quote: that is always a plus!!!

My #4 emu is pretty well out of its egg but still has a small ball of un absorbed yolk. Uhggg. Not what I was hoping to see today but I am just going to keep it in the incubator for some days and see how it goes. It is a determined little thing. I gave it a stuffed animal to snuggle and it seemed to feel comforted.

Hatching the bigger birds especially, peafowl, turkeys, emus... I am struck by the awareness they seems to possess. Birds are so amazing.
fl.gif
good luck with her, I will assume you know what kinda electrolytes that type of fowl needs already!

I have 7 babies! 10 more to go, several of them have pips.
wee.gif

My very first goslings!!!! I finally hatched some.

awwwwww I let gooserz and his brooder mate ducks go for their first swim today, he was more a water lush than the ducks!!!

And this happened yesterday. Not poultry but still cute.

bunniesssssss

Funny, since we rescued the egg that was pushed off the nest we didn't know a hatch date. My daughter and I decided to candle today. She picked up the egg to candle and it peeped. She was so excited! Her smile was great. Hoping to have a chicken soon.
how exciting!! good luck cant wait to see the littles!!!

Broody mommat #1 has 4 chicks now. One more pipped. One egg nothing. I think I figured out the strange hatchling ....Looks like this
th

I think our bantam salmon faverolle rooster must have went under the fence and visited the silkie coop!

oh how cute!!!! the bearddddddd

Well, here we are on the day that I was expecting the hatching to start sometime tonight or tomorrow. And we have already seen four chicks hatch and fluff. There are three currently zipping and I hope to see their eyes tomorrow morning. Plus I don't know how many I have pipping because the hatched kids keep playing soccer (futbol) with the other eggs. I'm sure there were some I saw pipped who have now been rolled over. Which reminds me to ask, "should I be concerned about that or will the chick figure it out?" Seems like a broody hen might continue to roll eggs after some of the hatchlings are out, but I don't know.

To make room for them I moved all my brooder chicks (five weeks old) to the hen house, separated from my older ones. Then I cleaned and sanitized the brooder, placed some of those 12x12 inch blue paper shop towels on the floor of it, and will begin to warm it up for the babies tomorrow. The interior of the brooder is 4' long, 2' deep, and 2' high. Then under the hardware cloth floor is a poop shelf where I keep some trays filled with pine shavings.

All in all it looks like we're pretty much ready to go.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
highfive.gif
wha
yesss.gif
fl.gif

welcome!! and to BYC!!! what exciting set!! love your breeds in there!! so awesome the kids get to see this!!!

:yiipchick Congratulations! So how many are left? What breeds are they? :)

Barnyard mix. 35 total. Don't know how many will actually hatch at this point.

RIR papas and either RIR or black sex link mamas.

Awesome! Be sure to post updated pictures. :)

Well I candled all 7 of my eggs this morning, all are forming except for one. :celebrate  Super excited! I love my incubator it has great hatch rates, and usually all of my eggs that form will hatch.  

Congratulations! What kind of incubator do you have?

I have a brineasa mini advance.

What an exciting and completely magical day!!!!! I heard my first peeping after my first-graders went home for the day yesterday. But, it sounded like only one. I was hoping to see a couple hatched when I walked in this morning, and was really hoping when I saw several parents standing by the door waiting to peek into my classroom with me. NOTHING!!!! UGH! I did hear a faint peep. So I waited and crossed my fingers. Then I decided to do the unthinkable, I opened the bator to candle one. Well, when I picked it up, I realized that the chick had pipped on the bottom!!!!! Then I started peeking underneath, and four of the six were pipped on the bottom. I quickly flipped them over, threw in a nice warm, wet paper towel, and we watched closely. We watched all morning and just before lunch, one started to unzip. The kids had to go to lunch, and after all that waiting, (our first batch was completely infertile), they were going to miss it. NOOOO!!!!
Well, it didn't hatch, and the kids had inside recess (which is in my classroom.) I started to hear them screaming, it's coming, it's coming!!!!! They were surrounding the bator, so I could hardly even get a peek. The chick was clearly ready, so I grabbed it out and put it on a paper towel on the table. It hatched right before their eyes!!!! They literally screamed with excitement, and it was the most precious sight I have ever seen as a teacher!!! That first chick, is by far my favorite teaching moment of the year!!!!!! Picture cute little first-graders high fiving, giggling with excitement, jumping up and down, and even crying because they were so excited. It was absolute precious. A little later in the day we had a second hatch, and it was just as exciting! They went home tonight with huge smiles on their faces!!!! The other two are still pipped, but haven't zipped yet. And, there is one more that looks like it is internally pipped! So it was a very exciting day! You know it is so magical to watch chicks hatch, but there is nothing better than watching my students watch chicks hatch! So many have never ever seen that before! I was in tears myself, and it is truly the best moment of being a teacher.

Aconfederate, thank you so much for telling me your story! That brought me to tears all over again. My daughter was in my first-grade class almost 10 years ago. That was the first time I hatched baby chicks. She fell in love, and that summer we build a chicken coop, just the two of us. My husband wasn't even allowed to help. :) We have had chickens ever since, and last year she got best of show for one of our silkies. She wants to be a marine biologist when she grows up, so your message really touched me!!!!

The really special thing is that my daughter brings these chickens that we hatch at school to the fair each year, and my students always come to see how their chickens look grown up! It is the perfect ending to a super fun experience! What a magical day!

Back
Top Bottom