"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Awesome! Be sure to post updated pictures.
smile.png

I have a brineasa mini advance.

I should have known when you said 7 eggs! I have the same thing, and then I have a big one that I use too. Mine seems to run about 3-4 degrees cooler than the thermometer says, so my chicks hatched about 2-3 days late. I will up the temp next time.

Sounds awesome! I too love school hatches. I remember in first grade we hatched out chicks. They did it every year, not sure if they still do or not though. Ours were always just the yellow ones, don't know what breed lol and they always had parents come on hatch day and my parents and maybe brothers came and mine pooped on my hand lol the farm took them back afterwards

The kids always remember who got pooped on! There is usually one kid each year, so you are probably a celebrity from your class! :)

As it stands right now out of 26 eggs put in lock down 20 have hatched . Three didn't pip at all,and it looks like another one died during the zip process. I have one that has a tiny pip in it, but has made no progress all day long.
The final one has a hole in it about a little bigger than a dime. I can see its head and beak moving,but it can't seem to get into position to zip. When I get home in the morning if its still alive I will try to assist it. By then it will be about 28 hours like that, so it should have absorbed its yoke by then. I've never done it before, so I'm a little nervous about it.

As it stands right now out of 26 eggs put in lock down 20 have hatched . Three didn't pip at all,and it looks like another one died during the zip process. I have one that has a tiny pip in it, but has made no progress all day long.
The final one has a hole in it about a little bigger than a dime. I can see its head and beak moving,but it can't seem to get into position to zip. When I get home in the morning if its still alive I will try to assist it. By then it will be about 28 hours like that, so it should have absorbed its yoke by then. I've never done it before, so I'm a little nervous about it.
sounds like you are on the correct track! Good Luck!!

Of the 37 eggs I had in incubator #1 due today so far there are 19 hatched (one seems pretty weak and not running around the incubator like the others not sure it will make it).

Awesome! Be sure to post updated pictures. :)

I have a brineasa mini advance.

I should have known when you said 7 eggs! I have the same thing, and then I have a big one that I use too. Mine seems to run about 3-4 degrees cooler than the thermometer says, so my chicks hatched about 2-3 days late. I will up the temp next time.

Really? That's funny, mine seems to run a little but warmer, and my chicks always hatch two – 1 day early. I love that though because it's hard for me to wait for them to hatch. :p

Really? That's funny, mine seems to run a little but warmer, and my chicks always hatch two – 1 day early. I love that though because it's hard for me to wait for them to hatch.
tongue.png

Interesting!!!! I almost had a horrible catastrophe though. When I went to close the incubator, the chick had it's little head sitting on the cover for the water trough. And, I didn't see the clear plastic part that comes down on top of that. It was on the chick, and luckily one of my students noticed right away. The chick is ok, thank goodness. There are a lot of little areas for chicks to get caught when you open and close that incubator, so I will just take them out as they hatch from now on.

Last edited:
THANK YOU MEMBERS WHO HAVE DONATED!!!

Current Contest and Prize List

Chick Mug Shots CLICK HERE

1st place - 6 Olive Egger & 6 Sapphire Super Layers - Sally Sunshine
2nd Place - Iridescent Carnival Glass "Hen on Nest" - Sally Sunshine
Selfies with Fowl CLICK HERE

1st place - 12+ Silkie eggs - Jessimom
2nd Place - Chicken Egg Collecting Basket - Sally Sunshine
Fowl drawing/painting Contest CLICK HERE

1st Place - $50.00 Michael's Gift Certificate - Kwhites634
2nd Place - Sketching Art Set and Sketch Pads & Pencils - Jessimom
3rd - Place - Beautiful Hand Turned Pen - PenMaster
“Share a Laugh” Random Posting Thread CLICK HERE

6 Copper Marans Eggs - laurel woods
salt and pepper shakers - Cynthia12
Chicken Apron - campingshaws
GFM - chao18
GFM - canadachickens
E-Cookbook Lost Recipe Cookbook - Penny Hen
Coldstone Creamery $10 Gift Card Jessimom
“Share Helpful BYC TIPS” Random Post Thread CLICK HERE

15+ "Wonderful Egg Collection"- donated by Sally Sunshine
6 silkie eggs - Razdia
2 computer fans, 1 stc-1000 - chaos
GFM/BYC Gift Cert - lindalouly
Coldstone Creamery $10 Gift Card Jessimom
24" handmade Rustic Wooden Rooster - Sally Sunshine
BYC Promo Pack - DwayneNLiz​

DONATIONS FOR CONTESTS

are still being accepted for Contests!

Please PM @mlm Mike if you care to donate a GFM or anything!

No item too small! We can always have smaller items for 2nd /3rd places!

Hatching Egg Donations, Fowl items new/used in good shape, BYC GFM's, Amazon Gift Cert, BYC Certs, etc all great items to donate! What some of us do is purchase an item from Amazon and send it directly to the winner, just make sure they have plenty of the item in stock, example chicken rooster fowl mugs are always cool!

Tonight's day 7 candling results for are:

Set # 1: 11 viable, 3 blood rings, 1 highly questionable (will give it more time), and 1 slightly questionable. A few have good veining, but can't see the embryo.

Set # 5: 11 viable, 2 blood rings, 1 clear, 2 highly questionable (will give it more time), and 1 slightly questionable. A few have good veining, but can't see the embryo.

I pulled the 5 blood rings and 1 clear, and put the questionable eggs back in the bators. There are 24 eggs cooking, and all will (most likely) stay in until next candling. I'm almost positive that the 3 highly questionable eggs won't make it, but I'll be extremely happy if I only lose those 3 from here on...
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom