"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

@Chaos18

Set 22. Day 7-(can't remember exact numbers) pulled several blood rings and at least 4 non fertile. Day 18- several early deaths. Put 15 in lockdown. 4 hatched, one died. 3 chicks total.

21 eggs set between broody and Brinsea incubator. Due to hatch May 1st.

Last edited:
Update:
Well the chicks are 10 days old and growing like weeds. Still have 21 chicks, have not suffered any losses as of yet. I put electrolytes, A C V, and a couple of times I added some liquid vitamin B to their water. Now I just put A C V in their water daily and electrolytes once a week. Have not even had one case of pasty butt so far. They drink water like its going out of style. I have them on vertical nipples, they took to those with out any trouble at all. I hope to change over to horizontal nipples before long, because there're not so drippy, If you remember I ordered 24 Black Australorps eggs and received 35. Five arrived with slight cracks in them so I did not set those, and then there was four that were not fertile. Twenty six went into lock down with 21 hatching. Well I have three mystery chicks. So I guess the extra eggs were what ever they had to throw in with the order. I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures of all the chicks. So if anyone has a guess as to what the three chicks are I would welcome it.

0.jpg

What are these? Feed store had 3 cages, the top ones had the yellow/cream and the bottom ones didnt. Also there were like 2 black ones in the third cage on the way bottom. Didn't get picks, so dark. But didn't look like barred rock or Australorp? I thought these were all EEs but then the middle cage some are brown and some look silver/grey? So I'm wondering if they are Wyandottes? They were supposed to get SLW and GLW in bit I forget when. They weren't labeled or else I wouldn't be asking. Forgot to ask an employee but oh well. This is Morrisons, a local store under Agway, not a TSC or anything. But yeah. Thoughts?

I could be wrong but some of them resemble welsummer chicks.

Eye liner and chipmunk stripes on the back

OK, now i really did it... Went to the Poultry Show in Greenville, Ohio and there were some really pretty geese there.. ended up buying five eggs, two Laienden Ice, two Buff African Dewlopp and one Brown African.... I have no idea what to do now. am bringing them up to room temperature and will be looking up incubating instructions while I watch the rest of the chickens hatch and hope they hurry up so I can put the geese eggs in.. So glad I have this site to find out what to do....Have a total of 15 chickens hatched out of the 24 that I set and more pips on the way....How did this happen...now I really understand why some people say this is an addiction..
Gateway drug, lol!! (Sorry I know NOTHING about geese)

What are these? Feed store had 3 cages, the top ones had the yellow/cream and the bottom ones didnt. Also there were like 2 black ones in the third cage on the way bottom. Didn't get picks, so dark. But didn't look like barred rock or Australorp? I thought these were all EEs but then the middle cage some are brown and some look silver/grey? So I'm wondering if they are Wyandottes? They were supposed to get SLW and GLW in bit I forget when. They weren't labeled or else I wouldn't be asking. Forgot to ask an employee but oh well. This is Morrisons, a local store under Agway, not a TSC or anything. But yeah. Thoughts?

Too many breeds look like that as chicks.

I could be wrong but some of them resemble welsummer chicks.

Eye liner and chipmunk stripes on the back

Though I have some chicks I hatched that have eye liner and chipmunk stripes and have no welsummer in my flock. Mine that look like that are EE's. My daughter is better at breed identification than I am... To me I have a really hard time labeling a breed when chicks.

Lockdown tonight! Last hatch this month for me, but the turkey hens are breeding and the Royal Palm is poking around every hidden nook in the place, so there may be turkey eggs soon... Then it's just a matter of convincing dear husband to let me hatch just one more time.
fl.gif

Well, I'm hoping to go home to some chicks in the morning. I swear that I saw slight vibrations in two of the five eggs. In fact, I had my husband and son take a look without telling them which ones I saw and my husband confirmed one of the eggs. These are some barnyard eggs that I got from a coworker to replace some chickens that will be going to freezer camp. Can't wait!
yesss.gif

Finally made it to day 21. Three have hatched and several have pips. Looking like correcting the humidity this time around had helped. Have 24 eggs set. Will update tomorrow on status.
Well it is the second half of day 21, went out to check and have a total of 8 running around. Moved five to the broader box, others will be moved later today.
wee.gif

Quote:
duc.gif
th.gif

Batch #1 is complete. Had 9 out of 14 hatch. 3/4 were shipped. Super happy with the end results!!!

And then there are these 2. Both have the same momma and daddy. One is Sliver Laced and the other looks Gold Laced!!!?? Hahahahaha!!
congrats ROSS!

I candles today (day 14). All of the ones in the incubator are going strong and all but one under the broody are developing. So I have 21 eggs going strong!

yesss.gif

Everyone is in lockdown.

fl.gif

Tonight's the night the chicks are due! I see one trying to pip(I candled it) and the first summer lightning storm is just reaching us, ahh I may not sleep for fear of losing power
1f615.png

fl.gif

Over 100 eggs locked down, due to hatch tomorrow!
clap.gif

@Chaos18

Set 22. Day 7-(can't remember exact numbers) pulled several blood rings and at least 4 non fertile. Day 18- several early deaths. Put 15 in lockdown. 4 hatched, one died. 3 chicks total.

@harrellkd sorry you had such a difficult hatch. I had a bad one this month too. Ended up with 2 living chicks from 22 fertile eggs.
sad.png

Should put it in a tea cup with wet paper towels so it can hopefully get absorbed

Will probably need help :(

Go Chickies!!!

Good Luck!!

Good thing your hamster has high humidity :oops:  lol, soo cute! good luck with the rest!
Woohoo!!

:fl

Glad you are feeling better! good luck with the chickies!

:weee

Keep going chickies!!

:woot

Morning!!! At least you set them! AND they're hatching!!! YAYYYYY!!!

WHat!??!! you forgot to candle?? :th

Congrats!

I know, right??? I was just wondering when day 7 was, so I checked the calendar and realized it was day 8..... :lau
Hey, atleast I'm no longer stressing over this! :p

Whoever said it was relaxing?? :lau
Sorry to hear about the fluctuatuions

X2

Day 21 starts at 1:30pm and I have no pips in my 2 eggs in lockdown.

Patience is a virtue...just not one I possess.

:lau :yuckyuck
But SO TRUE!!!

The urge to candle my Pekin eggs is overwhelming! Sometimes I want to candle 10 times a day, and other times I can go the whole hatch without doing it. With you, I am impressed you have the ability to forget! I did not think you would ever be able to do that! :lau

Me neither. I am suprised at myself. :lol:

@harrellkd
sorry you had such a difficult hatch. I had a bad one this month too. Ended up with 2 living chicks from 22 fertile eggs. :(

:hugs

After a gnarly cold
sickbyc.gif
, and a hubby with a kidney stone
th.gif
, I'm back on track. Kinda. I put 21 eggs into lockdown last night!
celebrate.gif
I lodt another olive egger sometime before that.
barnie.gif
Hoping I don't lose anymore.
fl.gif

oh no I pray he is feeling better!!!
Morning y'all.
frow.gif
I'm up to 15 chicks, 1 pip left in 3 eggs. This has been the weirdest hatch ever.
yesss.gif

Our first hatched! One more pip. Hoping for more. So exciting!
clap.gif

2 hatched 1 hatching and another cheeping
yesss.gif

Congrats on all the new babies and all of the pips and peeps!!

I go in lockdown in 3 more days due to hatch in 6 more days... well my eggs are due to hatch not me but you know how it is
lau.gif

fl.gif

Had a bad night....woke up this morning to the incubator down to 97 degrees on both thermometers. Uh, oh. It was holding a nice 99.5 when I went to bed at 11 but 97 when I woke up at 6. No idea why it dropped or how long it had been that low. First thing I checked was if it was closed securely after I candled last night. It was, so no clue what happened. Gave it a gentle nudge upward, went in to make my coffee and start breakfast, then checked it again. Both therms read 104. Grrrrrr At least it wasn't that high long enough to cook the eggs - I know they take awhile to get up to the temp of the air around them. Finally have it stable at 99.5 again. I'm hoping the worst that will happen is that that might delay the hatch slightly, if it was low long enough. But we have to leave town today and will be gone overnight - worried about it happening again when I'm not here and won't be back until after 6 tomorrow night.

Tell me again why this is a relaxing hobby????
thats not a big deal u caught it!

9/20 so far; 5 visible pips. I've pretty much lost track of which chick came from which egg. I know the two CCL Ameraucana crosses look like typical EE stripy chicks, so that's easy. There are a couple with spots on their heads so they're probably my Barred Rock crosses and they're probably boys. The yellow ones could be from a couple different hens. Finding out the rooster of each chick will probably be impossible- unless they get crests.

I don't know why I'm thinking about this so much. Coffee hasn't kicked in and I don't want to think about how much I have to do today.

My 6-yo just invited me to the "fair club" meeting. That sounds like an acceptable alternative to thinking about work/chores.
wee.gif

Day 21 starts at 1:30pm and I have no pips in my 2 eggs in lockdown.

Patience is a virtue...just not one I possess.
lau.gif

20 of my 27 eggs hatched. They are a hodge podge of big stock and one lonely game chick. I help the last one to hatch, he was pipped for over 24 hours and started to get stuck. I looks like he may have a slight beak malformation and I'm hand feeding 'Spot'. I don't think he's going to make it, but I knew when I helped him. Sill have eggs under two hens and am probably going to start ducks on Monday. This is too addicting!
highfive.gif

Set 8 eggs 20 days ago. I died around day 3 of incubation, 1 I dropped while candling on day 7. :p 6 made it into lockdown, and as of this moment 3 are pipped. These are eggs from my flock, all mixed breeds, and I'm hatching them out to give to a friend.

fl.gif

Well, just figured out my new 4 stall coop is not going to be large enough. I need 6 new coop stalls. I was planning on expanding it next summer but may have to figure out something else. So many chickies, so few coops.
lau.gif

Quote: My two coops and runs form an H and I closed off one of the spaces and planted the garden there. Being on the north side of the coop I am hoping that the runner beans will bear longer into the heat because their roots will be cooler. Runners like the cooler weather. The rest of the runners are going along side my house and porch to block the summer heat and hopefully cut our electricity bill in August.

Digging in the dirt is a good therapy for loss. I read recently that scientist have actually found that the good microbes that form in the soil have a calming effect on people through the contact of the skin (mostly hands though I suppose you could just roll in the dirt to get a big dose
lau.gif
).

I believe I had mentioned taking care of a chicken with it's hip joint out. In the search to find out the best treatment I found a couple of sites that I have not seen posted here yet so I am going to add their links here. The first is Poultry Pedia and they cover lots of subjects not just leg problems. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

The second one is Veterinary Center for Birds and Exotics. They give a detailed explanation of the problem of a hip out of joint in a bird and how it is fixed. http://www.avianexoticsvet.com/case-of-the-month.html

Oh and the pale pink egg. This girl is a Silver Penciled Bantam Wyandotte from Donna Rippy. She currently has plenty of them for sale and she ships. I can't promise that they all lay pink but the gene/s are there and they are sweet gentle beautiful bantams. My pair are so polite that my lame girl wants to hang with them instead of being isolated. She jumped out of my arms to be with them.
goodpost.gif

OK, now i really did it... Went to the Poultry Show in Greenville, Ohio and there were some really pretty geese there.. ended up buying five eggs, two Laienden Ice, two Buff African Dewlopp and one Brown African.... I have no idea what to do now. am bringing them up to room temperature and will be looking up incubating instructions while I watch the rest of the chickens hatch and hope they hurry up so I can put the geese eggs in.. So glad I have this site to find out what to do....Have a total of 15 chickens hatched out of the 24 that I set and more pips on the way....How did this happen...now I really understand why some people say this is an addiction..

lau.gif
good luck
@Chaos18

fl.gif

Update:
Well the chicks are 10 days old and growing like weeds. Still have 21 chicks, have not suffered any losses as of yet. I put electrolytes, A C V, and a couple of times I added some liquid vitamin B to their water. Now I just put A C V in their water daily and electrolytes once a week. Have not even had one case of pasty butt so far. They drink water like its going out of style. I have them on vertical nipples, they took to those with out any trouble at all. I hope to change over to horizontal nipples before long, because there're not so drippy, If you remember I ordered 24 Black Australorps eggs and received 35. Five arrived with slight cracks in them so I did not set those, and then there was four that were not fertile. Twenty six went into lock down with 21 hatching. Well I have three mystery chicks. So I guess the extra eggs were what ever they had to throw in with the order. I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures of all the chicks. So if anyone has a guess as to what the three chicks are I would welcome it.

0.jpg
you should post these waterers on the sharing helpful hints thread!! I love this idea!! so clean looking too!! and can be used in any sorta brooder too!

Back
Top Bottom