Sprite, 15 week old, male or female easter egger?

Relynn

Songster
Apr 29, 2017
Okay, so just recently my son told me that one of my favorite birds who I handle all the time, the one I have had since two days old, who had her egg tooth when I got her, is attacking him. Anyways, I thought it was funny, because I couldn't believe it, and whenever he would try to show me she wouldn't attack him. I assume that was because I was there. However, tonight when I went to put the baby silkie away, she attacked me. If you push her back she jumps at you... I mean not that she scratched me or anything. But she is biting. I am worried that she is actually a he. I already have 2 silkie roos in the coop with my other silkie girls, but they have not tried mounting or hurting my girls, and only one of them crows, and it is pretty quiet once a day, at like 6:30 am or earlier. So, if Sprite is a boy, I will not be keeping her.

b%7tD9oSSwmAcmYqM8AtoA.jpg
FCbjNmHYRh+ZIggWayN2jw.jpg
q%lG4+aLQg2ttvxblPPSNw.jpg
nxPmbPfEQz6MRFjFZuIilA.jpg
dnzt%r3AQ3y185VCBdJAUA.jpg

That single tail feather is a bit suspicious but the comb says pullet. I agree you have a girl maybe just an aggressive one though

She used to have more of the long tail feathers, but she grew out of them... but she attacked me after Charlotte my silkie squeaked, because she didn't like me moving her away from me to put her into the coop.

Maybe it is a he/she. Hermaphrodite. In my years of having chickens I have had 2 spurred hens, that would never breed and would fight roosters. never fought other hens but seemed to guard them. neither of them ever laid an egg in 5 years. they grew about 1" spurs. Good thing, they never attacked me either. :) so even though they looked like hens except for the spurs, they acted like roosters to me. Attacking like that is a rooster behavior in most cases. She is a pretty little EE. Tail says HE, head says SHE.

I forgot to add, that when I decided to process them, they had small testes.

Guess I never asked how old sprite is. some EE's do mature head wise a little later, but should be able to tell that by 12 weeks old anyway. Here is a picture of one of my little roos hatched on april 28. I took pictures and made a growth collage. I thought HE was a beautiful little hen at 7 weeks. NOT. about 10 weeks old he started changing and Well, by 12 weeks you can see what he looked like. He is 5 1/2 mo. old now. I kept him.

Ameracaunaxroogrowth2handsome..png

His full brother, more noticeable at 7 weeks old his growth collage shows his changing. He was chasing pullets by 9 weeks old, didn't get anywhere, but sure was trying. It is just amazing that they can change colors so quickly from baby to young adult.

AmeracaunaxRooGrowth.handsome..jpg

Hope this helps you some. I do lean toward you having a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom