sprouting and or planting

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mamarosa, Aug 8, 2008.

1. mamarosa

mamarosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Does anyone sprout seeds and beans for their free range chickens and is it a good idea? If so which are the best seeds and beans to sprout?
    Also does anyone plant anything in the ground for them to eat, once again what would you plant....such as clover,
    alfalfa

2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I've sprouted clover for them and the regular mung beans. They seem to like the clover the best. [​IMG]

3. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    This is a great question mamarosa. It would be great to know which seeds/beans would be benificial (nutritionally speaking) to sprout and feed to chickens. After all sprouts are live foods and who knows how long our commercial feed has been sitty around putrifying.

4. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    i threw a handful of mung & alfalfa sprout seeds down in their run after the rains, put a feed sak on top with a piece of board on it and left it there for a qweek. after i took up the board, there were little sprouts coming up that the girls gobbled up. now i do it in differant areas of the run to give them some variety. it attracks worms and creepy crawlies too - kinda like eating at a buffet for them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by