Sprouting grains

PerlyBee

Songster
Aug 12, 2019
Deep South Texas
7AB87639-5BCB-4E6B-9206-A204B7F448CC.png
46C8136A-674D-4710-9627-1D019DB35D63.png
:weeAfter a week and half of trying to grow fodder and not getting past day 3 without mold. After watching a video of this man that would soak the seeds, dump them in the chicken run and cover then with a basket for a couple of days. Well i tried it and sure enough we got sprouts now! I have fodder growing mold free now by spraying diluted hydrogen peroxide to the trays at least once a day but I find growing sprouts in the chicken run way easier. Just wanted to share

After a week and half of trying to grow fodder and not getting past day 3 without mold.
Glad that worked our for you! :thumbsup

Maybe you are working with a harder to sprout seed? Barley was said to be the easiest.

My info shows that fodder is not actually better than about day 3 sprouts anyways... but green *seems* so much better...
Fodder Nutrient values

Your ladies are lovely! :love

Thanks:) I had oats, wheat and BOSS. Oats would sprout the fastest but get mold first. I live in Deep South Tx so I figure i can grow it in the chicken most of the year.

I'm having the mold issue too...my fodder is growing great but I keep getting mold. I think I need to rinse better and do bleach.

P.s. .. are you close to Brownsville?

I'm having the mold issue too...my fodder is growing great but I keep getting mold. I think I need to rinse better and do bleach.

P.s. .. are you close to Brownsville?
Do you have a colder room? My Garage stays at a constant 10°C (50F) and i have no mold issues until i take the bin i intend to feed upstairs into the guest room.
Also, try your best to remove any foreign material (straw, twigs, etc…) from the grains and rinse until the water comes out clean, everything that floats won't sprout and needs to be removed.

Do you have a colder room? My Garage stays at a constant 10°C (50F) and i have no mold issues until i take the bin i intend to feed upstairs into the guest room.
Also, try your best to remove any foreign material (straw, twigs, etc…) from the grains and rinse until the water comes out clean, everything that floats won't sprout and needs to be removed.

I'm also in very southern Texas. It was in the 90's today. My garage is pretty warm.

Back
Top Bottom