Sprouting Wheat

Pics
I've just started my sprouting green lentils. I haven't got any trays so thought a jar and sunny spot on the kitchen window should suffice.

They are about to start their 24hr soak and I've tapped holes in the top of the lid for aeration and drainage. They are to be rinsed twice daily and then tipped on their side for drainage. Hope it works 🤞

I would put them in a dark place until they are sprouted...

I assume I have white wheat as I think red wheat is a winter variety.

I've not tried oats, 50 pounds of wheat takes a while to sprout. I also put the wheat in my grass boxes and they pick off what ever comes through the hardware cloth.

This is my third and preferred version of my grass box. Approximately 1' x 2' with 2x6 leftovers.
View attachment 2079012

JT
Oh wow I need to try this!

I've just started my sprouting green lentils. I haven't got any trays so thought a jar and sunny spot on the kitchen window should suffice.

They are about to start their 24hr soak and I've tapped holes in the top of the lid for aeration and drainage. They are to be rinsed twice daily and then tipped on their side for drainage. Hope it works 🤞

I've been adding an ounce of hydrogen peroxide to 3 quarts of water and use that as my soak water. First day I soak 24 hours, the rest of the time I soak for a while (15 - 45 minutes) in the morning and then drain well. So far since I've been draining well almost no mold has been seen at harvest time.

The jar will get crowded fast as they grow... a bowl would be easier to get them out at harvest time.

I've found that by day 4 you can just hold them back while draining and I don't cover them after that. I'm not convinced that the cover does anything at all the first few days.

This is my finishing area...
sprouts-16.jpg

JT

I've been adding an ounce of hydrogen peroxide to 3 quarts of water and use that as my soak water. First day I soak 24 hours, the rest of the time I soak for a while (15 - 45 minutes) in the morning and then drain well. So far since I've been draining well almost no mold has been seen at harvest time.

The jar will get crowded fast as they grow... a bowl would be easier to get them out at harvest time.

I've found that by day 4 you can just hold them back while draining and I don't cover them after that. I'm not convinced that the cover does anything at all the first few days.

This is my finishing area...
View attachment 2304508

JT
Thank you, I had worried about digestion so was only going to grow them to sprouts. Do you find your chucks are ok digesting then at that length? My girls are 3 months old so was going to grow and increase the length each time.
I will look into hydrogen peroxide, thank you

Do you find your chucks are ok digesting then at that length?

When my Rhode Island Red's moved from the garage to the coop their run had grass that was 2' tall. In no short order the yard was bare dirt... so I'd say they don't have any problems digesting anything they can manage to swallow. The wheat grass as it gets to day 10 is much softer than when it first sprouts.

JT

When my Rhode Island Red's moved from the garage to the coop their run had grass that was 2' tall. In no short order the yard was bare dirt... so I'd say they don't have any problems digesting anything they can manage to swallow. The wheat grass as it gets to day 10 is much softer than when it first sprouts.

JT
Lovely, thank you. I shall give it a go :)

Been doing some sperimenting and if you leave the cover off after the soak the sprouts take much longer to get going. It's not a dark light thing but moisture as the first few days they are in the dark most of the time.

JT

Back
Top Bottom