Sprouting Wheat

Pics
JT, this should keep you busy. This is the model I’m going off of. There is a lot of useful information in the fifty sum pages. Before you go crazy reading the whole lot, scroll down to the last 5 or so pages. I have some other links somewhere as well as a wealth of info pertaining to grain spawn for growing your own edible mushrooms. Cheers

https://www.farmtek.com/wcsstore/EngineeringServices/allbizunits/techdocs/111628M.pdf

I've not seen that before, thanks that's a good read.

JT

Interesting they use hydrogen peroxide to stop mold growth and sodium hypochlorite to clean the growing channels.

Clean and disinfect the fodder channels after each harvest. System is designed so channels can be removed and cleaned. Use a 10:1 mixture (water/bleach) to disinfect the channels when cleaning. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove the cleaning solution before using the channels.

JT

The “bleach” is used as we would traditionally use a a surface sanitizer. Wipe on wipe off. At that point it breaks down into a very minute amount of trace salts. You wouldn’t want to put that in your food because it can’t break down naturally as it would in the manner described. The “peroxide” like I said can be used in direct contact with your food source. It doesn’t stop mold growth, however there are many molds and fungi that it does destroy on contact. The biggest benefit is that as is breaks down in the system, it provides tons of O2 to your root mass which causes an explosion of root growth. The rapid root growth and highly oxygenated root zone do not give the resistant molds and fungi a chance to take foot. Glad the link was helpful for you.

Last edited:
The “bleach” is used as we would traditionally use a a surface sanitizer. Wipe on wipe off. At that point it breaks down into a very minute amount of trace salts. You wouldn’t want to put that in your food because it can’t break down naturally as it would in the manner described. The “peroxide” like I said can be used in direct contact with your food source. It doesn’t stop mold growth, however there are many molds and fungi that it does destroy on contact. The biggest benefit is that as is breaks down in the system, it provides tons of O2 to your root mass which causes an explosion of root growth. The rapid root growth and highly oxygenated root zone do not give the resistant molds and fungi a chance to take foot. Glad the link was helpful for you.
I haven't read the link yet,
But I do know I have found peroxide to be a really good alternative to bleach when it comes to laundry.
I have used it in my carpet cleaner for years instead of buying expensive carpet shampoo. It works great removing stains and seems to brighten everything up.

The biggest benefit is that as is breaks down in the system, it provides tons of O2 to your root mass which causes an explosion of root growth. The rapid root growth and highly oxygenated root zone do not give the resistant molds and fungi a chance to take foot.

That's some really good information to know. I just wonder how long the hydrogen peroxide takes to break down to water and oxygen in the presence of light...

JT

How long do you leave the sprouts in the dark? My last few batches only half sprouted. I think I didn't leave them in the dark long enough.

Just reading the instructions on the bag of barley seeds that just came in and they recommend a warm place to germinate. They also say to not put them in an air tight container. I think the wheat grass seeds say the same thing. Having relayed that information I sprout mine on a card table in the basement with low 70's temperature.

JT

Having read on my seed packages and online not to soak more than 12 hours the first day I accidentally let a tubby soak for 24 hours. Harvested it today and can't see any difference at all with the normal 8-12 hours soak. So that's telling me that the soak time is not very critical on day one.

JT

I've just started my sprouting green lentils. I haven't got any trays so thought a jar and sunny spot on the kitchen window should suffice.

They are about to start their 24hr soak and I've tapped holes in the top of the lid for aeration and drainage. They are to be rinsed twice daily and then tipped on their side for drainage. Hope it works 🤞

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom