1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sprouts for chickens???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SIMPleChick, Sep 6, 2011.

1. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    My mom is SOOOO funny. SHe doesn't have chickens and doesn't want chickens but she does ALL this research for me to make sure I know ALL I can! LOL! She called to tell me that chickens LOVE sprouts and that lentils and wheat are the best for them and it will help supplement their regular food and give them better yolks, etc. Is this true? I have some lentils sprouting right now, a day away from giving them to my chicks! So I just want to check and make sure thay are good to give! Thanks all!!! [​IMG]

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Sprouts have a lot more nutrition that almost any other plant.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds great!!

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Sprouts are a great way to increase the nutritional content - the hens can get more out of the grain when it is sprouted. Here is a great article done by a fellow poultry-man I met - Great guy, nice, and trustworthy. Good luck! http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Sprouting.html

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:GREAT site! Thank you for that, I will be doing this, this winter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by