Spur Trimming - The Verdict

GoodyChickenShz

Chirping
15 Years
Apr 5, 2007
The CA High Desert
Okay, so I've tried two methods of trimming the spurs......twisting them off with a pair of pliers and cutting them off with a rotary tool. In my now-experienced opinion, cutting them off with a rotary tool is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch less stressful on both me and the bird! Twisting them off resulted in a lot of blood and, surprisingly, there were soft baby spurs still in place after removal of the hardened spurs. Yuck. Using the rotary tool, we cut off all except for about an inch of the spur and the cutting cauterized the spur so there was no blood. Mr. Rooster did not seem to mind at all. Afterwards, I gave him a big handful of wild bird seed as a reward for being a good boy, and he happily pecked away, so I figured he couldn't have been all that traumatized. I got my rotary tool at Harbor Freight for less than $10, if I remember correctly, and it came with cutting disks. Took a little while to cut all the way through but still it was not as horrible an experience as twisting them off. Hope that helps someone!

OUCH!! I had no idea about twisting them off? I just use my dremel and file them down, my roo's just sit there and let me do it. I think I would peck my arm off if I twisted a spur off. Doesn't that hurt?

When you twist 'em off, a baby bloody spur remains and there is a fair amount of blood. Chickens are very stoic and don't particularly show when they are in pain. With the dremel method, it cauterizes the spur as it cuts so there is no blood. It's a slower process, similar to filing a nail off, while the twist method is sort of like a dentist pulling a tooth. Having had teeth pulled while fully awake, and having done both the twist and the dremel method, I much prefer the dremel method.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom